PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Hey all, has anyone tried this blend. They call it close to lanes 1Q.

just wandering.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have some, but can't remember. I will try some tomorrow and give a report.
Winton

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
i recently got a tin of solani aged burley flake. its very good and i am currently searching for more burley flakes that our similar. ill have to try the butternut while I'm at it.

baldy

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2011
I love it. When I got into pipe smoking a couple years ago it quickly became my favourite. Since then through various taste changes and preferences. It's still my favourite. I smoke 6-10 bowls/day for the last 2 years. There are few days in all this time when I did not light up BB.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Yes, I have some Scotty's Butternut Burley. I smoke it once in a while. Not daily. But, never go by what others say about tobaccos. Everyone's taste is different. What I enjoy, you may not.
Always buy the smallest quantity when trying bulk tobaccos. Then your not out a lot of moo-la. If you like it, order as much as you want.
I enjoy Scotty's Stonewall. It's cool burning and has a nice taste on my pallet. I dedicate one pipe to this blend.

It's my favorite so far. But, it's all a matter of what you like, not me. You must find your own favorite.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I know sometimes its counter productive to ask if anyone likes a certain blend and I know everyones tastes are different, but if 10/15 pipers like it or say it is close to another blend or give you similar taste profiles. Then that helps others decide to try it or not.

My intent was solely to find out what others thought and use that information wisely.
Ahhh.. just kidding I just didn't want to waste my baccy money.
Cheers to all

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
How can it be close ?? Butternut Burley is a Burley/Cav. I always thought 1-Q was a VA/Cav ?
Granted I've never tried the Butternut Burley, but that's an interesting observation. I find my 1-Q to have that strong vanilla flavor, so perhaps that's all we end up tasting regardless of the tobacco used ??
Interesting question... I'm now going to have to experiment ;-)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I tried some today. I could not really identify the flavors, but that is normal for me. I really enjoyed it. It is better than 1-Q in my opinion.
Winton.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Winton, thanks for your input. I will put in an order for some to try out myself.

Cheers

Jeff

baldy

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2011
Taste change, tobacco changes, weather and mood changes. IMO, generally it's pretty hard to find bad pipe tobacco these days.

Jul 12, 2011
I just sparked up some of this (after a good 12hrs dry-time) I must

say this stuff is very tasty as AM smoke with my side of coffee...

Slightly sweet (like a lite Maple flavor I'm picking up) good 'ol Burley goodness I very much enjoy...not

complicated, just a great bacci for anytime of the day/all-day smoke...lots of big white smoke clouds, reduced to nice fine grey ash...good morning all
Smoking it in a IMP Meer but would be also great in a cob

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Just tried my first bowl today, got to let it dry a bit I think. But it was great none the less.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
There is nothing similar about 1Q and Scotty's Butternut Burley.
1Q has a nice vanilla taste to it and is smooth.

Scotty's Butternut - has a pecan pie kind of taste to it - also smooth.
While I have only had a bowl or two of 1Q - I have 4 ounces of Scotty's stashed somewhere - if you are looking for a yummy blend to go with morning Joe - you would be hard pressed to find two nicer blends.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thought I'd bump this thread and see if I could get any more opinions on this blend. I think I'd like to try it but the reviews are, typically, all over: everything from walnuts and pecan pie to bitter and butterscotch. Also curious to the nicotine content.

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Low nic content. It is a tad bit more complex than 1Q, which is boring to me. I really like BB. One of my favorite aro's

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Butternut Burley is a great smoke, mellow and smooth but not the same category as 1Q. To me, both are great tobacco's but totally separate in taste and smoothness.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I actually have some of this sitting in my pouch right now. It does seem to have a very smooth flavor the scent and roomnote both have kind of a buttescothy feel without being butterscoth(if that makes any sense) it's quite nice although I'm more a fan right now of the *HPCS Adirondack Series - Trout Stream

Gwynclan

: if your planning on putting in a TAD order might I suggest Pipesandcigars.com Victory Lap Sampler? The only one I haven't tried yet is *Hearth & Home - Larry's Blend which is significantly less ARO than the rest but not quite strong enough on the LAT to really feel like a cold weather blend either. but hey eight ounces 20 bucks and 2 of those ounces is one you wanna try anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.