PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
The following is a review I posted of Butternut Burley on TR.com. several years ago. As some readers will note, I used a different point system, only allowing a maximum of 10 points for flavor. After I reviewed blends for a while I decided that flavor was the most important quality of any tobacco and doubled its' points value to a maximum of 20. At any rate, I hope you enjoy the review as much as I enjoy this tobacco.
Butternut Burley to me is like an improved version of Burley Light Without Bite. Through the first 2/3 of the bowl it has a nutty pecan-like flavor, with a sweet overtone that is really flavorful to my taste buds. The final 1/3 reverts more to the standard burley flavor, with a slight sweet undertone. Although its' description implies that this blend "simply refuses to go out", I found that not to be the case. For me, it took an average amount of relights, although I'll admit never having been able to get those one match smokes that a lot of pipesters talk about. It burns down to a dry ash, leaving the bottom of your bowl dry.

I smoked Butternut Burley in several pipes; a medium Peterson billiard, another medium bulldog Pete, a large bent Boswell, and an extra-large Lannes Johnson billiard, which seemed to have a particular affinity for this blend. It was a good smoke in all of them.

The final quality of this tobacco that I should mention is its' price. A pound costs less than $20 from www.pipesandcigars.com. That's an outstanding value for a high quality pipe tobacco.

Final scores? Flavor- 8 out of 10, lighting and burn rate-7 out of 10, price- 9 out of 10. That averages out to an 8 score and a "highly recommended" rating for Butternut Burley.
Smokey

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Good smoke in the right pipe. I get a different flavor in each pipe I smoke it in. I don't smoke it everyday. Just once in awhile. It's a great backup for when I run out of my regular stuff. I'don't know if I'd buy more of it.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I really enjoy butternut burley. I smoked it in my churchwarden, then tried in my cobs wow there is defiantly a difference, twice as good in cobs.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
Since I posted my review of Butternut Burley, I have found another aromatic burley that I like even better. It also comes from Pipes and Cigars and the blending table of Russ Ouellette. Classic Burley Kake is one first class aromatic burley tobacco that has a terrific flavor and a crowd pleasing room note. It's a little more expensive than Butternut Burley but well worth it in my eyes. I only ordered 4oz. because I wasn't sure that I would like it. Next time I will order at least a lb.
Smokey

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Butternut Burley is good, but I've got to agree with Smokey -- Classic Burley Cake is even better.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Tried a sample that came with my Pete. Smoked a few bowls. Pretty good taste, quality smoke, but not exactly my cuppa, so I traded out the remaining ounce or so for some VA #1 with Spartan on here.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Butternut Burley is a blend you want in your pocket when your out by yourself and you want a friend along. Just found another 4 ounces stashed away I forgot about. I'll have to start dating my tobacco when I stash them away.

Jul 15, 2011
This stuff is just fabulous. There aren't many tobaccos that I would order pounds and pounds of but this is definitely one of them. I have half a pound close at hand in my little wooden tobacco cask, and it is something that I reach for once ever few days. I love smoking this on my day off cause I can fill a bowl with it right after breakfast and puff on it from the time I get up until the time I go to bed, and it is non irritating, very tasty, and always gets compliments wherever I go. In fact, my girlfriend had some friends over the other day, and one of her friends doesn't deal with tobacco smoke very well, so I loaded up some Butternut Burley and went to go sit on the porch. They could smell it through the window and when they did, they told me I needed to come back in so they could smell it some more. Great stuff and I will be ordering more of it, to be sure.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I cant add much that has not already been said, but this stuff is fantastic. I suggest it to everyone, I smoke more English than anything but this blend grows on me more every time I smoke it. It’s perfectly simple.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I have to agree with these comments. BB has become my go-to tobacco, and I've almost given up on everything else! :) Of course, TAD still sets in, but my cellar is getting deeper! ;-)

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
On the P&C website it says it should be in stock in 3-5 days and they have a pipe I want so I was thinking about ordering and just back ordering the Butternut Burley.I am itching to try it now though after reading and watching some reviews on it.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
ohiopuffer, I just called P&C a few days ago, and they said they were looking at least two weeks before they got my order in(including 4oz of BB), so Id wait if I were you. I thought the same thing when it said 3-5 days.
BB is my favorite aromatic. It tastes the best, for me, in my Grabow Freehand. Big bowl and all.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Butternut Burley will be back up within the next day or two, as I am going to make up about 40 pounds of it today. The status will change online soon after it's ready.
Russ

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
That's great news, Russ, as I have a half-pound on order!
While you're in the blend shack, I have some Angler's on order as well... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.