PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
It is possible that a majority will favor independence in the upcoming plebiscite. An independent Scotland would not be in the EU or the UK. Would this lead to a renaissance of Scottish pipe tobacco? Thoughts?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The entire affair is fascinating to watch unfold. I'm especially interested to see what the effect of a separation would have on Northern Ireland.
The way the money is exiting Scotland, fast and furiously, probably bodes poorly for any renaissance in tobacco blends from Scotland. Thinks would look up once Scotland joins the EU, which I think would occur within two years, probably sooner, of the separation if in fact it occurs.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Yes it is a mess. But, Northern Ireland is experiencing an up tick. About the only country in the two islands that is. Although my friends in the Republic tell me that things are improving at a fair clip. Housing starts are up, house prices are climbing with the increase in demand and in Co. Mayo property taxes have been reduced. Of course there is the water tax fiasco.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
First off, Scotland will almost certainly have to join the EU.

Secondly, the pro-independence movement is led by the liberal political factions, none of which are particularly friendly to tobacco.
Personally, I think an independent Scotland would be a bad thing for Scotland, the UK and the world in general.

May 31, 2012
Wait. What Scottish pipe tobacco?

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/smoking-some-65-year-old-scottish-flake-a-group-review
:

:
I'm really curious how it will go, but I couldn't really say what would happen if it does.
Even though I happened to come across one of the debates on C-Span and watch the whole damn thing,

I'm still at a loss of what to think?

:?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Z9l-rWgfA

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Of course Scotland will have to join the EU, should the EU be around much longer, it's more a matter of what Scotland brings to the table and will the EU want it. At is time Scotland would offer nothing positive to the EU. Judging by what is happening and about to happen to the EU it might be better for Scotland to go it alone if possible or come to some sort of economic accommodation with England.
The EU is going to have to reshape itself in order to continue its existence. Too many suckling at too few teats.
I also believe that historic differences will soon cause a serious rift, probably along the lines of north and south. I have no idea where the French will end up. My, admittedly limited, knowledge suggests that the EU will become a northern biased union of some shape, the less productive southern members going their own ways. I'm guessing France, with it's history of differences with all the other nationalities on the continent, will go its own way entirely, neither north or south.
But, back to Scotland. Scotland has a gloried history of work and invention so it will probably, should it wish to join, end up in the new northern union. It's going to find the road very rough for a few years should it opt out of Great Britain. First, it will have to attract back to Scotland the moneys which have moved away. Then it will have to start attracting new money and lots of it, most likely to be done with low taxes which will create other problems for the population until the base grows sufficiently.
Leaving Great Britain is a substantial risk, most especially with the current state of economy.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We were discussing this with my neighbors, who are originally from Galway Ireland. They weren't too high on Scotland gaining independence and thought that would drive up prices on everything. It's all still a bit of a mystery to me on how the UK works.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I just spent two days with a posse of visiting German politicians, including their EU reps. They are all very down on a Scottish breakaway. They see it as an emotional response to a situation that needs the brightest and smartest on deck. I fear for the worst.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Scotland certainly has picked a disquieted time to try and separate from the Great Britain. Economically it will suffer greatly. The EU certainly doesn't want another economic basket case, unable to care for itself. Still, Scotland has a record of industriousness and invention.
I'm betting that Scotland will survive no matter how the vote goes. The country that invented golf with all of its attendant frustrations, yet still maintains a love affair with the sport is virtually indestructible.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The polls say it's supposedly too close to call. This essentially guarantees the result to be whatever is favored by those in control of the counting (as in any close election, anywhere in the world).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a practical matter, Scotland has most to gain staying in the UK, but people in the US can hardly criticize

Scotland if it does go for independence since the colonies that became the US broke with England, violently,

238 years ago, and despite the passage of time, the principles remain the same.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Ill be there in 3 weeks so I will get as much info as I can and let everyone know. I am curious myself.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Scotland enjoys way more freedom than the colonies did. This is not so much about self-government or being taxed without being represented as it is national identity. A much different situation than existed in the late 1700's. A large percentage of people see themselves only as Scottish and not British.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
While I am interested to see what happens, I'm reminded that, as an American, I have NO CLUE what the reasons are and since I'm not a Scot, I don't have any frame of reference either. With this said, I think it would be great for the forums if we were very careful in what we say. The "No Politics" rule is still in effect even though a majority (based on my spurious polls) of the members hail from the US and we have no immediate horse in this race.
-Jason

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My very undereducated view is that this is a foolish move by Scotland. They don't have the juice to join the EU despite their supposed oil reserves. I guess I don't know how they are suffering under British rule. They have a great history but business is business. As far as pipe tobacco goes, what do they have to offer these days? This is not even a deciding issue. Good luck to them whatever they decide. I'll drink their whisky and toast their outcome.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Looking at the SNP they are by nature very left wing and more so than the Blair governments of the 1990s. People of this ilk tend to like to spend money on their core constituency which equates to re-election by creating a client state. In terms of tobacco I would expect excessive 'sin taxes' and acts of general prohibition in this regard. In terms of economics Scotland will very quickly under Salmond will start to resemble Zimbabwe without the nice weather. Once the boarder goes up the Scots will wake up and discover that they have made a terrible mistake. It should be remembered that before the Act of Union in 1707 there were 12 Scottish Pounds to an English Pound and I expect the same will be true again if Alex Salmond and his crew get their way!

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
It would be nice to see a return to glory days (which is sort of what the whole thing is about) but I'm pretty sure we will never see the return of John Cotton or a Perth based Charles Rattray. Considering all the facts, I really see some dark, thin times ahead.
I've always been for a free Scotland (my family got booted for being Jacobites in the '15), I think this is more driven by a few politicians who fancy themselves a modern day William Wallace (when they would more accurately be Wallace and Gromit).

Status
Not open for further replies.