PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Ok as ive stared before I really dont smoke aros I have always been a Englisg smoker.

On Ipsd I got a sample of Highlander tobacco scottish whiskey to be exact and had a sample of a blend no longer made called scottish ribbon by ed from the Connoisseur Pipe Shop.I really like both of these blends can anyone recomend other good scottish mixes?

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
You may try Davidoff Scotch Mixture, great blend, mild flavour, with great room note. I'm sure you will love it. I prefer to smoke it in medium size bowl.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Define what you mean by a "Scottish mixture". There isn't really an excepted definition of such a thing, although some companies label their blends as such. Do you mean topped with Scotch whisky?

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@Jud
I think he means blends that is less in Latakai, more VAs and topped with sctoch whisky, so I advised him to try Davidoff. Correct me please if I'm wrong.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah what the heck is a Scottish blend? I have seen several of them from various manufacurers over the y ears leading me to believe that there must be some criteria to be met in order to be a "Scottish" blend. Most just seem to be English blends.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
The definition of a Scottish blend eludes me as well. Two blends I've tried carry a supposed connection to a Scottish "style". G.L. Pease Fillmore, a Va/Per, on the tin describes it as a thick sliced broken flake "in the Scottish tradition". I've also tried Gawith, Hogarth Broken Scotch Cake which is a very mild Virginia mixture. Its sort of coarse cut and pressed into a loose cake.
I've read blend descriptions involving almost all typical tobacco varieties in "Scotch" or "Scottish" blends. I don't really know. Maybe a good question for the next Ask G. L. Pease Column?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Yeah what the heck is a Scottish blend?
I don't know what a Scottish blend is, but this is the description for a blend by C&D.
Cornell & Diehl Strathspey

A classic Scottish blend, heavy with Latakia and deep orientals, subtly sweet with black and light pressed cavendish and touched wi' a wee dram o' Scotch

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
MacBaren Mixture says it is a Scottish blend. Haven't cracked the tin yet.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
MacBaren's Mixture has no latakia and no Scotch. It has been made a helluva lot longer then any of the other blends mentioned in this thread. MacBaren on Mixture

Likewise, Rattray's was, originally, a Scottish blender. They have no blends that fit that definition, AFAIK.
Just to keep things interesting. :puffy:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Start on page 11 Jud interestingly they do not refer to thier blends as English . http://www.netroom.dk/thomsen/rattraysbooklet.pdf

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My point was That Rattrays's, although originally - not now - a Scottish blender, made no blends at that time that fit the profile of what is described here as a "Scottish blend" - e.e. latakia and Scotch whisky.
Start on page 11 Jud interestingly they do not refer to thier blends as English
Referring to blends with latakia as "English" blends is an American custom, not one used in the UK.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I often wonder if the final region for blending does not make a big differance . But some where along the way it just became a big auger and a switch .

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
In the end I don't care so much about how a blend is classified as much as I care about the smoking experience provided by the tobacco. If dog shit in the pipe made for a good smoking experience I would be one dog shit smoking dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.