PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Had a glass of Tomatin 18 year old Scotch tonight with some Sutliff Sweet Virginia. It was a good combo but during the second half of the bowl I got myself a glass of Pusser's Navy Rum.
I'm noticing lately that rum seems to compliment sweet and aromatic blends better while Scotch is better with other blends.
The sweetness of the rum really does compliment the sweeter blends where the Scotch seems to make them seem more tobacco forward and less sweet. Anyone else notice this?
Next time I'll have to compare a glass of good Brandy to the rum with a sweet blend. And maybe compare a peated Scotch to a Sherry cask Scotch with a nice English or Balkan blend. All in the name of science of course...

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I find scotch and bourbon pair the best with all tobaccos, and thats almost always what I go to. Sometimes Rye, but only good rye (high west, lot 40, hudson, woodford, etc). Bad rye is, well.......bad.
The one exception of course, is that I sometimes drink rum with Navy flakes, or any rum laced blend :D It probably hampers my palate a bit for picking up any rum notes out of the tobacco, but it's just so goddamn fun.
But this is all of course, a matter of personal preference. I do enjoy the rum pairings, but my vote will always go to scotch, followed closely by bourbon, when pairing with tobacco.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think it would be which beverage you prefer the most. If I'm going to drink an alcoholic beverage, I prefer a good bourbon. I believe the flavors should contrast a bit. Sweet on sweet masks the flavors of one or both for me.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I wish I liked any form of whiskey, Bourbon, Scotch, Rye, but I just can not drink it. So, I’m learning Rums. Love them with a pipe. Many varieties and distilleries and many good at all different price points.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like whiskey and rum flavorings in blends but don't often pair them with a pipe.

tidalwave

Lurker
Jul 9, 2019
I love rum with both cigars and pipes. Centenario 20 years and Zafra 21 year are my go-tos.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
As Hoosier said, a complementary pairing is hard to beat. My go to is bourbon in my glass, and a latakia blend in my pipe. The smoky woodsy latakia greatly complements the sweet bourbon.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
typically don't drink hard liquor with pipe, but i do notice sweet drinks compliment anything with va. it seems to accentuate the sweetness of va.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I'm with bullet...... I don't do alcoholic beverages with my pipe. But, I between rum & bourbon, I think rum sounds best IMHO

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I have found that sipping a fine scotch while smoking a pipe or cigar is counterproductive as the strong tastes of both the booze and baccy quarrel with each other and clamour for my attention. It would be like having two strong-willed girlfriends at once. Everybody loses.
Instead I prefer a low key sherry or port with my pipe to hum in the background while I concentrate on the tobacco itself.
Parenthetically I have also noticed that a well hopped beer is awful with a latakia-forward blend as both are bitter and amplify that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.