PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
Any Scotch drinkers out there? What's your favourite?
I like many, but my favourite distillery is BRUICHLADDICH and my go to drink is Laddie 10.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
It's funny you ask; I just tried some for the first time tonight. It is Chivas Regal and I thought it was ok. I have always enjoyed bourbon and thought Id enjoy trying a different type of whiskey.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Yeah, I don't have anything to compare it to but I enjoyed it. Shared a glass with my dad for my birthday. My wife picked it up for me tonight. She's a great woman!

Dec 24, 2012
Nice. I have had the regular Laphroig before. It's a p[eat bomb. I believe Laphroig is also an Islay distillery like Bruichladich. There are only 9 distilleries on Islay.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Oh man, you have no idea! She takes care of me. I will post up a pic of the birthday cake she made me in another thread soon. She made me a pipe cake. On topic again, what do you think about Johhny Walker Black? I've been told that it is good but that the red is not as good.

Dec 24, 2012
Johnny Walker red is the standardversion. It is a blended scotch and, frankly, is not really to my liking. I think it is more for people who use scotch as a mixer rather than who drink it straight. Black label is ok - it is an aged version (12 years I think) and is certainly much smoother than red label.
JW makes a host of other different scotches. The best JW is blue label. It is absolutely outstanding and clearly the best of the line. It's also around $200 or more, so its a special treat for sure.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Drank some Laphroig 17yr old I believe last night, big shot with a pipe full of Nitecap, members here had guided me to that brand, thank you all. The old cajun :worship:

Dec 24, 2012
Bradley - laphroig is some good stuff. I would suggest you find some Bruichladich to try as well. They make several different blends and all are stellar. If you like peat, they also make the peatiest scotch in the world - the legendary octomore
http://www.bruichladdich.com/the-whisky/peated-whisky/octomore/octomore-4-1-167-whisky

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have bottles of Tallisker 10, Highland Park 12, and Lagavulin 16 on my shelves. Each suits a different mood. Don't drink blends at all.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Got open bottles of Glenlivet and Glenfiddich right now. Nice way to end the night before turning into the cart...

Aug 1, 2012
I love a good Scottish whisky. The favorite would be just about anything from Cadenhead's. I've only gotten one bottle from there when my mother-in-law brought it back for me. For a nice, inexpensive whisky, I'll usually reach for Glenlivet 12, Glenlivet 15 or Balvenie Doublewood.
On a side note, you can keep the peat bombs. If you like them, great. The one time I tried Quarter Cask it nearly ruined me. Love smoke, not peat.

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Going to a 'Scotch and Pipe Night' next Saturday. I know nothing about Scotch. I've had some good scotch and some that tasted like diesel fuel (maybe that's what it was). Any recommends for something that won't break the bank?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Single malts are a favorite - we've got a local pub that stocks an amazing number, and I've been checking them off in my copy of Michael Jackson's "Malt Whiskey" (not the one-glove guy, the beer expert...).
Perennial favorite is Laphroaig. In current rotation we've got Ancnoc, Jameson's, Lagavulin, and the dregs of a bottle of Dalmore.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I am perhaps more partial to Irish whiskey than to Scotch. And I probably know more about bourbon than i do about Scotch.
But I certainly can enjoy a glass of Glenmorangie, Aerblour, Glenlivet or The Balnvenie.
Had a glass of The Balvenie 15 year single barrel last weekend. I have to admit -- that is good hootch.

Status
Not open for further replies.