PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludgeoningdeath

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2013
Timberville Virginia
Hello everyone I'm a new pipe smoker from Virginia. My first pipe is a Fujima cheap pipe I bought at a local shop and when I asked for a pipe lighter I guess they gave me a cigar lighter. I see now after reading about scorching that the flame is blue that comes from the lighter and quite hot. I recently bought a Dutch Estate Pipe from a nice shop in Charlottesville. I have not been smoking it long and it does not have an unpleasant smell but there is a slight burn at the top from using the lighter out of ignorance for it's purpose. I've managed to rub most of the black off of the rim so it's un-noticeable for the most part.
How can one tell if scorching has done permanent damage to their pipe that is un-repearable? I'm starting to think I scorched my first pipe which is no biggie since it was a cheapo but I would like to protect my new investment and get an actual pipe lighter by Zippo or whomever.
If scorching has occured slightly will sweetening the pipe help remove any unpleasant tastes or is it a more permanent taint on the pipe? Are there other methods you would recommend? Thank you so very much for any information.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I assume you mean you scorched the rim?. You can rub most of the black away, but once scorched, always scorched, unless with a major undertaking such as trimming the bowl down to remove the entire area level to below the scorch, which is not worth doing at the best of times. As far as smell, taste, etc, it will disapear over a short time. Keep smoking it and be more careful now that you know. Many pipes have a bit of a scorch on the rims, it comes with time and use mate. Diminish it by rubbing with saliva before lighting and every bowl or so, and giving it a rub after smoking.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd say switch to kitchen matches until you get a lighter intended for pipes. Not sure if you do this but keep in mind not filling the bowl up completely with tobacco. Leaving a bit of a gap helps prevent charring.

ghelp

Lurker
Jan 15, 2013
Don't make the mistake I did and buy low cost butane pipe lighters ( $ 50 ).

Buy a Zippo pipe lighter if you need to go cheap or buy a Old Boy gas lighter for $100 , they work like a dream exept in the wind.
:)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums. From reading your post, I wonder if you mean scorching inside the bowl (since scorching the rim shouldn't impact the flavor or smoking qualities).
In any event, if the bowl has been burned to the point of scorching inside - it could impact the smoking qualities. This is sometimes called a burn out. To prevent it in the future, switch to a proper pipe lighter or matches.
As far as lighters go, I would recommend a Colibris. It's not too expensive and allows the flame to be drawn straight into the bowl - without scorching the rim and there's no lighter fluid taste. The other thing to remember is that butane burns hot, so you don't actually need the flame to touch the tobacco to light it.

bludgeoningdeath

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2013
Timberville Virginia
Thank you everyone for writing on this subject. What numbersix posted was actually what I was pondering...scorching inside the bowl. Luckily my new estate pipe doesn't have anything other than minor rim marks which I mostly rubbed out and it has a pleasant smell. I've only smoked out of it maybe 5 times.
However my first pipe a cheap Fujima pipe might not be so lucky. I think while learning I may have scorched the inside of the bowl itself. Oh well at least it was my 1st cheap pipe to learn on.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I scorched the heck out of some in the car because I watch the road not the rim, now I have "Car pipes", going to do some refinishing.

bludgeoningdeath

Might Stick Around
Feb 28, 2013
Timberville Virginia
Well I went and purchased a zippo pipe lighter. What a difference in the taste of the tobacco! It was much more enjoyable and less "ash" tasting.
I have done the same instymp. I guess I can use my 1st lighter for car travel lol.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bludgeoningdeath, don't listen to these guys, they don't know squat. This is my favorite pipe lighter. I can light my pipe in 2 seconds with this puppy.
onelitre_blow_torch_zps67c88a74.jpg

Just kidding, welcome to the site and do as suggested above. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.