PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
Is there any non-invasive way to remove scorch marks from the inside rim and plateau

of a lightly smoked pipe? They do not appear to be very heavy, but it is hard to tell when trying to make a visual assesment of them.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Saliva, cotton swabs, and plenty of elbow grease will be a start.
If that doesn't do the job, that is the height of my expertise so you'll have to seek another opinion.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I know there is not much you can do with estates that already have some marks on the rim, but it pays to be very very careful not to scorch the pipe.
That may seem obvious, but it is easy to get careless - especially with matches.
It's one of those "ounce of prevention" things. It is a pain to have to rub off those burnt tars all the time.
If you keep doing it regularly, however, it shouldn't become a big problem.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Tars and carbon build up can be cleaned; but burnt wood can can only be removed. I think it's called "topping" a rim.

Now, I'm thinking that perhaps even tars and oils can so deeply penetrate and stain the rim that one would be unable

to remove them without sanding.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Alcohol, spit and elbow grease can remove almost any tars, but actual burned wood (as someone noted) can only be sanded away. I've used micro-mesh pads to do this before, but that could be difficult with a plateau top if the scorching is down in the grooves as well.
EDIT: Didn't see you there cortezattic. Didn't mean to repeat your suggestions.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If the wood is truly scorched, you can't remove that without sanding and restaining. Many estate pipes have a heavy build-up of tars/carbon, etc. that can be removed, sometimes leaving no marks at all on the briar.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I take reasonable care of my pipes.. but, I'm not loosing sleep over scorch marks..I buy them to smoke them. Some of my best smokers look like they have been in a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.