PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
As some of you may know, I am primarily a VaPer smoker. I also enjoy what I would call "hybrid" VaPers, straight VAs, VaBurs, and straight(ish) Burley. I like the occasional oriental mixture but have never really been an English smoker and I'm not crazy about Latakia. Don't hate it. Don't love it. And I'm not a big fan of Aros or American-style Cavendish blends.
But.....
A friend of mine recently have me some 320 Battleground. It's a Cavendish, Latakia, Perique blend. And it's really growing on me. It leaves some Cavenish goop in the pipe, but I'm enjoying the mixture of flavors and the room note is garnering rave reviews from the womenfolk. It looks like a typical common Cavendish Aro and has that same color and cut. But the mix of flavors is really intriguing.
What are some other blends of this style? And what the heck do you call it?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't think anyone has invented a name for that particular mix of tobaccos,

but you might try a tin of Two Friends' Valle Crucis by Tarler and Pease.

"Intriguing" is the right word; and this will not leave goop in your pipe.

Tin description: Fine stoved Virginia and oriental tobaccos, rich Cyprian Latakia,

black toasted Cavendish and a pinch of Perique complimented with a touch of ginger.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I do smoke Valle Crucis and it is a "different" blend to say the least. It is one of those where you say, " There;s something about it" but can't quite put your finger on it. It's a an interesting change of pace and I recommend it only because it is so different.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
As another "change-up" I also smoke is Two Friends' English Chocolate. The latakia and chocoaltte are in the background but add that little something that makes you come back for more. Geez, there are many in this class if you have the time and money.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I'm with papipeguy on his assessment of TFEC. I love the stuff. Bought an 8 ounce tin at the Columbus pipe show last year and have almost gone all the way through it. I would say it is actually my "go to" though, not a change of pace blend. It is very well done. It is not what I would call an aromatic. There is so much natural sweetness in this blend.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think Two Friends Deacons Downfall might be a good choice.

" Dark and mysterious! Rich with Latakia, Black Cavendish, dark stoved Virginias and Perique. A bit of oriental leaf adds an exotic spice. This is a tobacco for those seeking a big, powerful flavor that isn't harsh or overwhelming. One bowl, and you'll know just what caused the Deacon's Downfall!"
Also if you have never tried Two Friends Redwood, it is a great Vaper.

A mixture for Virginia lovers! We start with naturally sweet red and stoved red Virginia tobaccos, add enough perique to provide some body and spice things up a bit, and finish the blend with a pinch of unflavored black toasted Cavendish. The color is reminiscent of the hues of a redwood forest; the flavor is rich and soothing, and the room aroma is as pleasing as a walk in the woods after a gentle spring rain

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Thanks for the recommends, guys.
Some insight into Battleground for anyone interested: I finall had to call The Humidor in TN to order more. I knew that this was once made by 310 tobacconists. My bag was labelled "320 Battleground" so I asked about this. Apparently The Humidor bought the recipe and they added the 320.
Awesome stuff for anyone who likes this type of blend as a change of pace.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Sounds like an interesting blend. I mixed up an experimental bled of my own a while back that was along those lines. Still haven't decided if I like it or not, so I'm letting it mellow for a while before I try it again. It 2 parts Modern English ( a local B&M blend), 2 parts Prince Albert and 1 part black cavendish.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
So just an update for those interested in aromatic English blends... In addition to Battleground, I've come to really enjoy Two Friends English Chocolate. Thanks for the recommend. Pipeworks & Wilke No. 5 is also a blend I would put in this category, along with No. 13 (basically No. 5 with the addition of Perique.)
Keep the recommends coming, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.