PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My eldest brother and his wife recently vacationed in Paris, France. Knowing that I am a pipe-smoker, they were thoughtful and purchased for me a gift which arrived in my mailbox today: a 50-gram pouch of Schippers Tabak Speciaal. Who among you has tried this blend, and what can you tell me about it? Please let me know.
Interestingly the warning statements used in the European Union take a different tack from those with which we are familiar here in the States. Rather than threatening death, the literal translation of this one reads, "Smoking may reduce the blood flow and causes impotence"!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't know anything about that blend but you should be well dressed when you smoke it.
After all ... if you're going to be impotent, you should look impotent! :mrgreen:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's my review of it:

I bought this not being sure if I would like it, as I can only handle so much of a danish aromatic. As it is a shag cut, it burns fast, but it does not bite, and burns smoothly all the way to the very end. The orientals are fairly prominent (but not strong), and there's a just a little hint of cigar to go with the wonderful spice note. The chocolate is noticeable, more so when hydrated, which also enhanced a nice smokey taste. I'd smoke more of it if it was available in the US, though Synjeco will ship here.

greengrass

Lurker
Aug 6, 2014
I haven't tried that blend specifically but I have tasted a couple Dutch Baai blends. As I understand it they are all similar and both I tried were excellent. Very chocolaty/nutty as JimInks said.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I know I had some Schippers back when it was still available here; that was over 40 years ago, though, and I don't remember a darned thing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.