PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I just got this newsletter. It looks like Dave is going to shut down the repair side of his business.
Hi Chris,
This is going to be a very unusual Newsletter, so please take the time to go through all of it so you understand the changes we are making at Walker Briar Works.
As of January 15, we will no longer do pipe repairs with the exception of pipe cleaning, buffing and polishing, Full Pipe Restorations and Ozone Treating. I am nearly 71 and Sue is 62. We have been working way to hard the last few years and feel that it's time to slow down some and get a little more enjoyment from life.
We will continue to:

Clean, Buff and Polish pipes, and do Full Pipe Restorations, for which we have earned an excellent reputation over the years, and Ozone Treating. Full Restorations consist of such things as stripping and restaining. Most pipes really don't need that much. A thorough inside and outside cleaning, buffing, polishing, waxing and tooth mark reduction or removal will put most pipes in near new condition at a very reasonable cost.

Sell Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipes, make and sell our 'Forever' replacement stems for them, and our Vulcanite Stem Restoration Kits.

Sell Consignment Pipes on our website for those of you who want to "thin the herd", get some bucks to "trade up" or just get some bucks from pipes that have been gathering dust in your pipe racks. This will also help some of your forgotten old "pals" move on to a new life.

Making these changes will help us live a more normal life while staying in touch with the pipe smoking community and all of you, and will keep me active in a healthy, fun way.
I thank all of you for sending your repairs over the years. I hope you will stay with us for Cob stuff, Restoration Kits and Estate Pipes for the future. We're looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible at the Chicagoland Pipe Show in May. More about that in a future Newsletter.
Regards,

Dave & Sue Wolff

Walker Briar Works
Newsletter Continued
Where to get 'em fixed now:
For your future pipe repairs, I highly recommend Howard Rasmussen at Starfire Pipe Works in Glendale, Arizona. Howard was trained by and has work with Paul Hildebrand, a truly Master Pipe Maker and Repairman for several years, and knows his stuff. He does excellent work, charges fair rates, has fast turn around and is easy to work with.
Other very qualified pipe repairmen that I recommend, both of whom I trust and who do excellent work are: Tim West at J.H. Lowe.com and Floyd Norwood at Norwood's Pipe Repair. Any one of these three well respected shops will take as good care of you and your pipe problems as we have through the years.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I just got this too, can't blame him for wanting to slow down a bit. Cheers to them both!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Yea, I feel the same way Roth. He certainly deserves some more time with his family after repairing pipes for 45 years. I never needed him for a repair but he certainly is great to do business with as far as Forever Stems and pipe maintenance supplies. I am looking forward to seeing the estate side of his business getting more attention.
On another note, you folks that make you own pipes may want to stay tuned to get some deals on stem stock:
"A Pipe Repair Shop Garage Sale!":
As we're closing the pipe repair portion of our business, we will be selling our remaining stem blank and rod inventory at good prices on our website. If you're a hobbyist and want to try your hand at stem making, now is your big chance. There will be a broad selection of both Vulcanite and Lucite blanks and rod available at very reasonable prices. Please keep watching the website for the "Shop Garage Sale" debut.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Got the same email. Too bad. But like Roth says, he deserves the rest. And he's still in business for other work, so not all bad.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
+1 on having received this newsletter. I will be receiving 3 pipes that he reworked for me shortly. I too have mixed emotions after reading this. I will miss his expertise but I am happy for them both.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
On the one hand it is a sad day for us all to loose such a talented craftsman, but on the other we should find some joy in knowing he and his loved ones will have more time to spend together an explore the rest of the world at their leisure.
I just sent off two pipes of my Grandfather's for some stem work, and though we talked about it on the phone last thursday, he probably did not get them until yesterday at the earliest and tomorrow at the latest. I don't know how we will handle that issue, but I'm sure something can be worked out to everyones satisfaction.
I am also concerned that Mike Myers, who was making the special churchwarden stems for meershaum pipes may no longer be available. Wonder what may happen with that?
I had something like this happen when I lost my automobile mechanic of many years when he retired. It took me forever to find someone I truely could entrust the work needed with. Finally found someone, but it was a daunting task. Had a doctor retire on me as well (actually move away) and it was the same story. My life seems to have more than it's share of this kind of grief.
Enough of my whinning...................The Very Best To You Dave, Sue, Missy and all.

We all raise a glass to you for good health, happiness in abundance, and visiting all the places you have longed to see.
:puffpipe:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I got the same email. Seems he'll still be doing some restoration work. Good for him. It's high time he enjoy retirement. He did an amazing job on a stemless, beat up old Peterson tankard for me two years ago. A true master craftsman.
Selfishly, I'm looking forward to some of those sales on existing inventory. I could use two additional stems.
For those of you with cobs, I could not recommend his Foreverstems more highly.
Samcoffeeman I'm with you. Twenty years ago and my bags would be packed!

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
I just received this information from Dave Wolff:
Good things have happened. As you probably know, Mike Myers has been doing more and more of our pipe repairs over the last year or so. He has been involved in all of them to one degree or another, and is presently doing about 90% of them himself. We have finally worked out the details for Mike to continue on with our repairs under his own company name, Walker Pipe Repair, LLC. He will be working out of his own shop in Ann Arbor, Michigan, so all repairs will go to him there. He's pleased with the arrangement, and we're thrilled! I know you will be too. His repairs are as carefully done as mine, with always perfect results.
We're going to publish an updated Newsletter explaining everything. In the meantime, here is a link to a page on our website that explains everything in detail. That page also has a link to his new website; WalkerPipeRepair.com.
Mike is still going to make the Churchwarden stems for Meerschaums. They really are beautiful. Probably the best thing to do is contact him directly. He will be happy to give you any information you need. His email address is: mike@walkerpiperepair.com.
Very good news for some of us! :clap:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
You guys might like reading this email he sent me, it helps clarify a few things... Because Mike has been doing his repairs and has trained under him, it is not really a change in the way he does the repairs. The stems are still done the same way with the no scuff (mold) system which makes sure that the pipe itself will not be harmed. He even has the same fees chart, identical to the old one. Check out his website http://walkerpiperepair.com/ he is youngish and has plenty of time ahead of him to continue repairing pipes, I will personally use him for all my needs that I can.
Dave Wolff

2:12 AM (10 hours ago)
to me
Hi Eric,
Thank you for your nice note. Good things have happened. As you may know, Mike Myers has been doing more and more of our pipe repairs over the last year or so. He has been involved in all of them to one degree or another, and is presently doing about 90% of them himself. We have finally worked out the details for Mike to continue on with our repairs under his own company name, Walker Pipe Repair, LLC. He will be working out of his own shop in Ann Arbor, Michigan, so all repairs will go to him there. He's pleased with the arrangement, and we're thrilled! I know you will be too. His repairs are as carefully done as mine, with always perfect results.
We're going to publish an updated Newsletter explaining everything. In the meantime, here is a link to a page on our website that explains everything in detail. That page also has a link to his new website; WalkerPipeRepair.com.
What all that means is that if you glaw the end off of your father's old pipes, you will still have a please to send them where they will receive a warm welcome and a nice new stem for you to chew on. Mike is a great guy. You will like him and his repairs. I promise.
Thanks again, Eric. Happily, Walker Briar Works fine repairs will live on!!!
Regards,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.