Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Flavor is one of the main reasons, if not THE main reason most of us like to smoke pipes ... but how much do you know about flavor when it comes to pipe tobacco? What's the difference between taste and flavor? How do aromatic tobaccos fit in?
Find out all of this and more in Russ Ouellette's new article - Savor the Flavor

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Very good read.

Very informative.

Good insight into what we are really smoking.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Ok, so I now understand the difference between 'casing' and 'flavoring'.
I am surprised to hear that almost all pipe tobaccos are cased, and then poly glycol is added, along with licorice, molasses, etc.
So, for those who smoke VA and Eng and Va/pers- are we all smoking a type of 'aromatic', meaning that the additives are just a matter of the amount topping added?

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
My thank you to Russ and to Kevin for posting this informative article that spells out some of the sensed but undefined mysteries of casings, toppings and most importantly to me - the relation of aroma to taste that I always suspected was how I defined what blends I liked and those that I did not care for.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The man is a genius. Speaking with him about this topic is a mind expanding experience. The art of blending is so much more science than alchemy that most of us would be boggled.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Adding a flavoring doesn't make a tobacco and aromatic. In fact, it would be difficult to smell some casings at all in comparison to the aroma of the leaf itself.

Think of it this way. Take a tough and relatively bland cut of beef, like a brisket. If you were to cut off some strips and broil it without seasoning, you probably wouldn't care much for it at all. But if you brine it (as in corned beef) or dry rub it and smoke it "low and slow", it can be a real treat. Think of casings as the seasoning that covers up some of the negatives in the flavor and/or aroma of the raw leaf.
Russ

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Russ, thanks for answering.
As in your example, because of the steam and heat process, the casing becomes part of the leaf, as the brisket becomes a 'corned beef'.
So then an aromatic has extra added flavorings that are added after the tobacco is processed?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Allan, the top dressing is what will make a tobacco an aromatic, and that's added at the end of the process. Whereas the casings, in general, are sweeteners (honey, sugars in solution, licorice, molasses), top dressings usually have a signature aroma (vanilla, chocolate, fruits, etc.)
Russ

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Finally, a clear exposition of taste, flavour, and aroma. Thanks for laying it out so clearly, Russ!

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
What a pleasure to read this illuminating article. Flavor (and maybe taste) are why I puff. I suppose this is why retrohaling multiplies my perceptions and pleasureable sensations, though I guess nicotine-free tobacco would be like a single malt or wine without alcohol.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.