PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have been absent for some time, but came over to see if there was any discussion about Doblone d'Oro yet. None yet I see, but there will be soon. No, I haven't had any yet either, but I just ordered 5 tins....

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I posted a review not long ago, but will repost it even though you already bought five tins. If you like tobaccos in this genre, you'll like this. Should age well, too.
The Virginias are naturally citrusy sweet, grassy with a little earthiness. I taste a little honey, too. The dark fired spicey, woody Kentucky is an important player, adding some flavor depth and strength. There is a fair amount of raisiny, peppery perique that plays well with the Kentucky spice as it tingles the tongue. You'll want something to drink while you smoke it. The tobacco is coin cut, but very easy to break part or fold and stuff as you please. It's very reminiscent of MacBaren's Three Nuns in several ways, which is no surprise since MacBaren manufactures both mixtures. It's stronger and spicier than Three Nuns was in any version. Consider this to be a hot-to-trot kissing cousin to the new Three Nuns. It burns well with a meaty consistent flavor with no bite or dullness, and no dottle.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Jiminks, it must have been your review I read this morning on smokingpipes.com I think. I did some other research as to other comments when the tobacco wasn't finalized yet, they were still playing with the blend. I'm really looking forward to trying it. Thanks.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
TopD: no, my review isn't there. My reviews are on Tobacco Reviews and sometimes, here, too. I only post review here that I feel are of greater interest, and with having written so many of them, I wouldn't want to flood this forum with them all.
You have me wanting to smoke some tonight!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I saw JimInks evaluation on Tobacco Reviews and bought a couple of tins yesterday. I'm planning on letting it age for awhile before I try it, but you know how that goes! A rave from Top may breakdown my resolve.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Dangit - one more on my list, right behind 3 Nuns. I'm never going to get my cellar built up if I keep getting distracted by new blends...

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Man another coin i need to try. Still have not succeeded to buy a tin of three nuns.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Sorry for the Necro-Bump bump I gotta tell you that I really like this blend. I saw on tobaccoreviews.com that this has range of Strang and a few others that I CAN NOT SMOKE. I've tried every way to Sunday to smoke the Strang, the Director's Cut and dare I say Newminster 403, but I can't they just rip my tongue to shreds. But I keep trying because I love, love, love the flavor until Armageddon or is that tongue-ageddon??
Anyway, I've found my VaBurPer!! I love it. I've smoked quite a few bowls and I still have a tongue. No common sense, but my tongue survived.
BTW, I'm smoking some now in a Dagner Cob Poker.

Oct 7, 2016
Saddlebrush mentioned this blend a few weeks ago in a comment. I looked up the reviews on TR, including Jiminks, and ordered a tin. After smoking about 5 bowls, I ordered 6 tins. As the most recent review posted at Smoking Pipes noted, mine, too, is about 2 and a half years old. I suspect age might make a difference. Straight out of the tin, this was the dryest MacBaren product I have ever smoked.

Jul 12, 2011
Love this blend, ended up trying due to smokingpipes throwing in a tin on Sav pipe I purchased....after that I was pop'in tins like PEZ :puffy:
I have not had any of it in awhile, think maybe I will get a few tins on my next bacci order

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I like this one too but it's taken me 2 years to get through a big tin. The African Va's have a very strong Rooibos Tea, floral character. I've never had a tobacco dry this quickly, and the character definitely changes with moisture level. I think it's a bit softer with a little moisture and I would consider humidifying it if yours is bone dry.

Oct 7, 2016
@bigpond, you made me look up roolbos tea, but of course I still don't know what it tastes like. But it sounds like I need to order some. I am a recovering Lapsang Souchong addict- used to go through a 10 cup pot daily.
My 2 and a half year old tin was pretty much optimally dry for my tastes. I would not describe it as bone dry.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I tried to smoke my friend's Rooibos tea, not particularly impressive.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Kanse: there's no comparison between this and Savinelli 140 as they are two entirely different blends. It would be up to your taste buds to determine which you would like better.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am most indebted to Mr Inks for turning me onto this blend. It's a winner and very close in flavor to the old Va/Per version of Three Nuns.

It was at the perfect moisture level for smoking, a bit shy of bone dry, right out of the tin. That's when you get the most flavor, you can simmer the tobacco with the fewest relights, and the magic happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.