PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Decided that I needed something new to smoke with. I really like the first Savinelli I got (Oscar KS413) so I naturally wanted another ... so I bought/won one off the Bay. The Falcon owners seem to really like theirs so I figured I'd check it out for myself since -aside from popularity- it is attractive for a metal pipe.
Really good pick ups. I had to offset these purchases so I am selling off my first Peterson, an Ebony Killarney XL02 on eBay. Check it out, it is the auction that ends in about 7 hours (as of 8pm ET).
I just finished cleaning up the Sav. It was an uncleaned estate that luckily wasn't in too bad of shape. A handful of pipe cleaners, some Everclear, Barkeepers friend and Obsidian Pipe Oil set it straight again.
The Falcon was clean on arrival so I've gotten familiar with it already. Real good smoker. Super light, I haven't had any bite or gurgle, nor did it leak. I really like it.
savroma-and-falcon-600x448.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I mistakenly labeled this as "TAD." Obviously I have tobacco on the mind and saved to my favorites on P&C. Some C&D blends (Three Friars, Bayou Morning, Autumn Evening, USS Mason) and Chonoswitch T13 may be coming my way soon.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Good pickup there. I love my fleet of Falcons and my Sav is the smooth version of the KS413 you picked up (Oscar Tiger Smooth 127). They're both great smokers. Your gonna love the both of them.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Thanks, Vigil. You have a "fleet of Falcons?" I figured they would be a "flock."
I really like my KS413, the Tiger wasn't an option. I really like the stem on the Smooth Tigers though.
You have a pic of yours?

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
mistakenly labeled this as "TAD."

I fixed it for you. Those are some nice pipes. I have two Falcons. A straight, and a full bent. Both smoke wonderfully. I also have a Savinelli, but the bowl coating gave me a bad smoke.I've been too lazy to take the coating off.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
My first Sav smokes crazy good, and it is light weight. Being an Oscar, it has some minor fills, but none detract from the appearance.
As for the Falcon, I wish I could find a Shillelagh stem. But I really like this straight one overall.
Thanks for the correction.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Kathy Worth who runs the eBay seller kathyc2c routinely carries Falcon Shillielaghs from her late grandfather's warehouse stock. Check out her book on the history of the Falcon pipe.
Here's one of her sales. No affiliation.
End time: Dec 3, 2013 4:52:16 PM
Item: Unsmoked Vintage Falcon Shillelagh Pipe w/Dark Blue Apple Briar
URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151178568866
Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoked-Vintage-Falcon-Shillelagh-Pipe-w-Dark-Blue-Apple-Briar-/151178568866
(Sent from eBay Mobile for Android)

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I thought so. Made possible by the sale of my Peterson Ebony Killarney for $66. Only took a $10 loss on it for what I paid originally.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Glad you like your Falcon. I drug my feet for a long time, but once I bought one, I bought more. I now have 6 and appreciate every one of them.
A few months ago I asked the forum's opinion on Savinelli pipes. It's taken me awhile, but found one on ebay that was in good shape (better than described really). I plan on cleaning it up later this afternoon. It's a 313 Prince with a semi- rustic bowl. I'll do before and after pictures later, but I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I don't see myself buying a fleet/flock of Falcons, but I do plan on buying a shillelagh and then just purchasing extra bowls for the ones I have. Economical benefit of changeable briar bowls.
The Sav should be dried by now after it's alcohol bath last night. Might take it for a spin tonight after the Broncos/Chiefs game. Go Broncos!

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
I watched my Grandfather smoke Falcons for decades. When I decided to pick up a pipe, it was a no-brainer - Falcon all the way.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I wish someone could find my grandpa's pipes. My uncle seems to think he might have some in his house somewhere. He was primarily a cob smoker. Those and the bad ass wood Sherlock Holmes Charing Cross pipe cabinet he had as well would be nice if they turned up. I have his medals and ribbons from WWII though.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
I have my grandfather's WWII dog tags and uniform patches.
His ship was bound for France and battle. Somehow the ships orders got mixed up and they sailed to Italy instead. He luckily became a prison guard in Italy. However, the ship of soldiers expecting to be in Italy wound up in France. Poor fellows. Sad story - He told me that the US Army fed the German and Italian POWs before the black US soldiers at the camp. Imagine?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Not surprised given the era of time in history. Jim Crow and Separate but Equal were still alive and well in the 40s.

Status
Not open for further replies.