PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Does anyone here own a Savinelli Tre pipe? Do you have any reviews to share?
I just bought a rusticated 606 KS bent billiard for my first Savinelli. I've been wanting to buy one for years but I was always put off by the 6mm drilling that requires either a filter or adapter. It might not affect performance much but I just didn't like the idea of being stuck with a "feature" I didn't want.
I had to pull the trigger as soon as I found out that Savinelli has a line of unfiltered pipes with standard 3mm drilling. The bowl on my Tre is a decent size and the classic shape is just what the doctor ordered so I can't wait to get my hands on this one. I think it was definitely a solid buy since I've only heard good things about Savinelli for the price but I was just wondering if anyone has tried this line of pipes before.
Also, do you think there is a noticeable difference between smoking a Savinelli with an adapter versus a comparable pipe drilled in the standard way? I am prepared to admit that my automatic dislike of the adapter is probably irrational since I have no experience to base it upon. lol

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a 606KS and I love it. Mine's a Bianca with the filter adapter in it. It hangs without effort and gives a good long smoke with no hassle.
The only thing I might recommend, if you use standard 6.5" pipe cleaners, consider grabbing a pack of 7". There's not much left to hang on to if you insert the standard length all the way.
jay-roger.jpg

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I have a 626 Tre and I enjoy it very much. The only difference between the Tre and my other 6mm Savinelli pipes is when passing a pipe cleaner, the 6mm pipes can sometimes offer just a bit of resistance between adapter, tenon and mortise. All my Savinellis smoke cool and dry.
Before acquiring those I smoked mostly Boswell pipes, preferably bent. None of them would pass a cleaner unless it was bent and with a great deal of finesse to get the proper angle to make it through the pipe. Rarely would I get through a smoke without dottle. All my Savinellis burn cool to a pure dry ash, from older more costly Corallos to new unfinished Grezzas.
I would be happy if my rotation were nothing but Savinellis, nice shapes, fine fit and finish and first class "engineering"

Reactions: Strike Anywhere

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have two Savinelli 6mm pipes and love the way they smoke without the filter or adapter. They are among the few briars I have that I didn't have to blast out to 5/32" in order to get them to smoke worth a damn. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with a Savinelli pipe of any sort.
To answer your question, in my experience, putting the adapter in a Sav 6mm just converts it from a good smoker into just another pipe with too tight of a draw.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have a Tre 310, and it smokes great. The only noticeable difference between it and the others I have (6mm and 9mm) is that I don’t have to remove and clean the extra adapter when I do a deep cleaning. The quality of the Tre seems on par, but the final finish isn’t as nice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savinelli and its other line Rossi make various series with no filters. These include all of the unfinished pipes that I have encountered and other series such as the Oscar Lucite, and the Rossi Vittoria and some other pipes in the Palermo and other series. I find the adaptors just fine; for me, they focus the flavor without restricting the air flow much or at all, and I find a filtered Sav without the adaptor a little too airy. I don't know the Tre series by that name, but Sav has always sold good serviceable unfinished pipes and I have four of them, some self-finished to a golden walnut shine over the years. Buff them with a soft cloth by hand after each smoke.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have Savinelli Tre Canadian model,I like over those with 6mm, only downside was that the bowl finish(varnish coat)did come down pretty soon after several bowlfuls,but I can live with that,some good polishing with solid carnauba and cotton wheel made it back to a decent looking pipe.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely follow some of this advice.
It hangs without effort and gives a good long smoke with no hassle.
That is a big part of what I am looking for - I suspected that this particular bent billiard style would suit me. Glad to hear that the adapter is not an impediment for you; I will probably have to give them a chance since most of the Savinelli pipes have them.
I have a 626 Tre and I enjoy it very much. The only difference between the Tre and my other 6mm Savinelli pipes is when passing a pipe cleaner, the 6mm pipes can sometimes offer just a bit of resistance between adapter, tenon and mortise. All my Savinellis smoke cool and dry... I would be happy if my rotation were nothing but Savinellis, nice shapes, fine fit and finish and first class "engineering"
A glowing review - thanks don. I am looking to create a quick rotation of quality pipes as inexpensively as possible so if the Savinellis smoke well for me then I intend to pick up a few because they seem like a great value.
I have two Savinelli 6mm pipes and love the way they smoke without the filter or adapter. They are among the few briars I have that I didn't have to blast out to 5/32" in order to get them to smoke worth a damn. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with a Savinelli pipe of any sort.
To answer your question, in my experience, putting the adapter in a Sav 6mm just converts it from a good smoker into just another pipe with too tight of a draw.
Interesting perspective! I will probably have to make a filtered Savinelli my next purchase so that I can compare the differences. Since I mostly smoke cobs, I am used to a very open draw. Maybe I will give your method of smoking without an adapter a shot. I have noticed that some briars are too constricted for my liking, at times. My motivation for the Tre was merely to avoid the added component of an adapter since I intend to never use a filter but I never really thought about foregoing the adapter. I guess I will have to see for myself...
Savinelli and its other line Rossi make various series with no filters. These include all of the unfinished pipes that I have encountered and other series such as the Oscar Lucite, and the Rossi Vittoria and some other pipes in the Palermo and other series. I find the adaptors just fine; for me, they focus the flavor without restricting the air flow much or at all, and I find a filtered Sav without the adaptor a little too airy. I don't know the Tre series by that name, but Sav has always sold good serviceable unfinished pipes and I have four of them, some self-finished to a golden walnut shine over the years. Buff them with a soft cloth by hand after each smoke.
Thanks for the info and tips, mso. The Tre series is not unfinished - I suppose it is a recent response to calls for a finished version that is also unfiltered. I am not really sure of the history... As for the adapter, I guess it really just boils down to personal preference. I will find out for myself soon enough!
I have Savinelli Tre Canadian model,I like over those with 6mm, only downside was that the bowl finish(varnish coat)did come down pretty soon after several bowlfuls,but I can live with that,some good polishing with solid carnauba and cotton wheel made it back to a decent looking pipe.
Thanks Paul! I am glad that you managed to fix your Tre's finish problems. I am not very concerned about the finish myself as long as it is decent, that is why I selected a dark rusticated pipe - low maintenance, easier to hide flaws! This will be a workhorse pipe for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.