PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I just got this today as an upgrade for my Piazza di Spagna 315KS. I'm really happy with it, it's even better in hand. I really like the retro sterling army mount, a modern Italian homage to the original 1920's Prince design.
002-033-33604.jpg

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I had that in my watch list for months! Love the stain. Congratulations on grabbing it, was too expensive for me

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Drop-dead gorgeous!
But if I might make two small caveats to my adoration, which still burns steady and true, I would prefer that the stem achieve the same degree of bend, but more gradually. Two -thirds of the stem is unbent, and the bend is achieved in the final third. Also, much the same diameter is maintained to the same point, where the slimming/narrowing begins. Both of these features would seem peculiar to Savinelli shaping. If you look at Dunhill's shaping of a bent Prince stem, and at some of Scottie Piersel's Princes, you'll see the difference.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Yes, exactly, and I see this is a Dunhill. It's not as pretty a pipe, and the transition not so nearly defined, but as regards the shape of the stem, which is a gradual taper, and the length of the bend, which I see starting at about the one-third mark, I do prefer the Dunhill. Although given that Dunhill prices that are at least 100% inflated, I would never buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.