Savinelli sans filter

(21 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by undecagon
  • Latest reply from mrgunnar177
  1. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been looking at Savs on sp.com abunch and I really like many of their styles (and prices!) However, I do not want a filter pipe. Smoked with a filter for a few puffs years ago, didn't like it, never again. So, who smokes 'em w/out the filter? Do you use the adapter/is it necessary? Does the adapter mess w/ cleaning? Any other Q's I should be asking?

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. mountainman

mountainman

Login to Send PM

I just use an adapter in place of the filter. And sometimes I take out that for a more open draw. No problems at all. Just a solid smoking pipe for a great price.

Josh
    Posted 6 years ago #
  3. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup a Sav is good. You can use a balsa wood filter or not. You can use a 2 inch piece of pipe cleaner doubled over in place of a filter. And yes, you can smoke it without a filter. The adaptor is a great invention. No problem for the cleanup either. All it is, is just a piece that fits into the stem to reduce the diameter. I prefer them because I just don't like the wide open draw without it.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just bought the adapter so i won't use the filter and this pipe http://www.smokingpipes.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=106839

You can buy education, but wisdom is a gift from God.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ya went with #2

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. garyovich

garyovich

Login to Send PM

Excellent choice, you're going to love it.

FYI, Savinelli convertible pipes come with an adapter. They are typically cut smoother on one end than they are on the other, I stick the smoother end into the stem towards the mouthpiece because they seem to pass a cleaner easier that way. You'll see what I mean when yours comes in.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im looking forward to it and im really curious about the adapters. Also i dont have a tamper so it will be nice to have one! Sorry for the hijack!

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. pipeshark

pipeshark

Login to Send PM

My initial foray into pipe smoking included a few filtered pipes. One even and an adaptor. It did not take me long to stop using filters, and I found the adapter complicated my cleaning enough times that I eventually lost it. I have four "filter" pipes in my rotation that are used with no filter and no adapter. The only adjustment I make is that I use a moist q tip to swab the are where the filter would have sat. I so this as part of my after smoke cleaning, but I have also found no problem with make in it a part of the "deeper" cleaning cycle. It just means a little more time will be spent "de-gunking" that area.

May you next bowl be your best bowl!!
    Posted 6 years ago #
  9. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Sav 2320 comes with balsa filters...they are still in the box. Never used, but I use the adaptor without any real cleaning issues.

Jason
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. msandoval858

msandoval858

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've owned several Savinellis and I've never once bothered with the filter or adapter. My pipes always smoked fine. I know they recommend the adapter but it didn't seem to make any difference in my experience. One less piece to worry about cleaning.

Mike
    Posted 6 years ago #
  11. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to know, the only sav I've had personal dealings with has been with a buddy of mine who is admittedly far from a pipe authority. He said it was unsmokable w/out the filter. He also bought the pipe IN PERSON, and got home not knowing there was a filter inside! ALWAYS take a pipe apart before buying it

Anyway, glad to see many of you disagree with him, so I think I'll be adding these to my Christmas List.

Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3

Choice 4

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

really diggin the Nonpareil and Quandale!

Posted 6 years ago #
  13. twangthang

twangthang

Login to Send PM

Just bought a new Savinelli and have been smoking it sans filter and adapter with absolutley no problems.

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. koshersmoke

koshersmoke

Login to Send PM

I got an alligator sav and love it. I started with the balsa filter and it was funky. I got a dr grabow paper filter from my brother and cut it to length it was even worse. now I only use the adapter. Its just a piece of plastic or maybe vulcanite. My only fear is it might get hot and warp or start to melt if an ember gets into the shank. I was looking at the Nonpareil for my self when i saw the alligator pipe for 46 bucks. It just wasn't in the budget this time. I realy want a storient meer for my next pipe.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I own 4 Savinelli (in fact I have a Bing much like the first link and a billiard much like the last link posted here).

Three take 6 mm filter, one (a twin-bore) takes no filter.

I initially tried the filters and don't use them anymore. I don't use the adapter either. And I smoke them often. It's pretty much a personal choice, but I think most folks on this side of the pond, anyway, opt to go without.

I just bought the adapter so i won't use the filter and this pipe http://www.smokingpipes.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=106839

Guns, all new 6 mm or 9 mm Savinelli pipes come with a filter in the stem, a zip-lock bag pack of 10 new filters and a black tubed adapter is also included in that bag. You don't have to buy an adapter, unless you lose it, or get an estate Sav without it.

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. clyde

clyde

Login to Send PM

I only use the adapter in my Savanelli Bings favorite because of the thin shank wall. Having the adapter allows a pipe cleaner to pass easily and not have to pull the stem for a quick clean after each smoke. This is admittedly an inherent weakness of the pipes design but I love this pipe.

Other filter pipes I own, including Sav's, go completely without filters and do all require a little extra work to clean the area where the filter is meant to be, that area acts as a trap so what's the difference whether you have to clean the adapter or the area it sits in?

If you like that particular pipe you just put up with the extra cleaning or use the filters and put up with tobacco juice on your fingers.

C.M. George
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. clyde

clyde

Login to Send PM

Not to stray from the subject of filters (to far anyway). A friend of mine seemed mystified that I really enjoyed pipe smoking and then told me he had bought a pipe but just couldn't stand the taste of it. On a little further investigation he didn't know it had a filter and had smoked it three days with the original filter in it.

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

LOL Clyde. Well, when I did use a filter in a Sav, I could get 2-3 smokes out of it before tossing the filter.

Brigham Pipes are the exception regarding changing filters often. Yes, you do have to rinse the Brigham's maple filter after a bowl or three, but if you do that, one Brigham filter can easily last 20-30 bowls.

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn I had no idea oh well it was only a dollar or two

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Savinellis. Right now I am smoking them with just the adapter in. The draw is really good on both of them. I've used the filters as well, and I don't notice a major difference with or without the filter. It's worth it to give a filtered pipe at least one smoke to see what it's like.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 6 years ago #
  21. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ill give it a try!

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   catyrpelius, redone, alexnc, jiminks