PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I didn't think it was possible, but Savinelli has replaced Peterson in my heart. It was pretty hard to admit that my Irish blood preferred an Italian pipe, but there you go . . .
So far, I only have two. The remarkable thing is that I've never really liked a rustic pipe - it just didn't look right to me. Then, on a whim (after all, I could return it) I bought my first Sav - a Tortuga Rustic 305

I fell in love with the feel and was surprised that the rustication didn't make the pipe look like it was made out of plastic. The smoke was instantly pleasurable. (I'm use to a long break in period with the Petersons).

I liked it so much that I decided to get another. Zonomo has a Oscar Tiger Rustic, and spoke very highly of it, so what the heck, I now own a Oscar Tiger Rustic KS 673.

I really don't know what I was expecting, neither pipe is expensive (both under $100) but I was truly surprised. With the exception of several lights (I didn't dry my tobacco out) the first smoke was a joy.
I think I see several more in my future . . .

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I recently became a Savinelli fan as well. Great looking and well made pipes at a price that is awesome. I know the feeling of guilt when you're Irish and like Italian pipes better.

Nice choices, I have both of those, except my Oscar is a few years older, so the stemwork is different. But, with Savinelli you get a pipe that smokes like it is worth four times what you paid.

If you like the Peterson style, take a look on ebay for the old Savinelli Dry-System pipes. They make Petersons just seem like rattle traps in comparison. I have four of the Sav Dries, and the Peterson I have has been taken out of rotation and put in a drawer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savenelli's also wear like iron. Beautiful smooth even smoke, and they go and go. I have two Savs I bought

unfinished, one stamped the other not, a 404 zulu and a trim billiard. I also have an Oscar Lucite prince

and a churchwarden 601, full curve. I also have what may be an extra large Sav sold as an Iwan Ries house

pipe but not stamped Iwan Ries, just "Italy." Also, you get a whole second array of Sav pipes with Rossi's, which

are made by Savenelli. I also greatly appreciate Johs, Bentons sold as Iwan Ries house pipes, Petersons, BC's,

Chacom, and hand-carved pipes by Jerry Perry, among others. But Savenellis are always impressive smokers

and usually beautifully turned and drilled.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
MSO,

Is the Rossi a Savinelli second, or just another brand made in their factory?
I've been looking at Sav's 10" Churchwarden called Pisa, might have to wait a couple of months, I've had a severe case of PAD since the new year.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
It's strange. I got a Peterson abut a week ago, after swearing off the brand for some years as a "beginner's pipe" (my ignorance showing). I stored my two Savs, then two threads appear from converts to the company.

Regarding the break-in of Pets, I am currently finding, after my fourth smoke or so, that the flavours don't seem to be blooming naturally. I hope this will change after, say, 20 smokes?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a few Sav's and like them a lot. I am using a Sav Sport right now in an experiment of smoking the same pipe all day every day to see how it will stand up and so far its been doing great.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Rossi was the largest pipe manufacturer in the 30s, but went belly up in the 80s. Savinelli brought the brand name back as a hommage. They are now produced at the Savinelli factory.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks for the info - I think at one time the families were related, but maybe I'm making that part up.

Status
Not open for further replies.