Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
What do you guys think of Savinelli Pipes?
Do you own any?
What is your opinion of them?
What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Savinelli Pipes?
How about Savinelli Tobacco?

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I like Savinelli pipes. I think that they are some of the best made pipes out there.

I have several. When I fisrt started to get serious about pipes, an old timer told me " You can never go wrong with a Savinelli. They will always smoke good." I have found that to be true.

They don't retain their value as well as some other makes though. These days I would be inclined to pick up a Savinelli, than most affordable Dunhills. The Dunhills I have seen lately look garrish.

From what I read, the Golden Jubilee grade and above are perfect pipes. No fills or blemishes.

I will post a few photos of some of mine.
latestpipephotos007_opt1.jpg

latestpipephotos008_opt1.jpg

pipes004_opt1.jpg

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Hi Phil,
I've got a Savinelli of the same shape as the top picture, only it's from the Oscar line, rather than the Trevi. It's chambered for a 6mm filter, but I smoke without. It smokes wonderfully.
Since it's a heavier pipe, I'll sometimes tap my son on the back of the head with it when it's empty. It doesn't seem to bother him too much and it's a good deal of fun for me. I got the idea from a bit of folklore about churchwardens being used to wake dozing parishoners.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Kevin,
My experience with Savinellis has been great. Even the cheaper Savinelli makes have been good.
I have a Duca Carlo bulldog that I paid about $30 for and it smokes better than I'd ever expect such a cheap pipe to. Over time, I've really become attached to it.
I also have a Baronet Bruyere that smokes like a high end pipe.
All in all, I highly recommend them. You should probably check ahead of time to make sure if it's chambered for filters or not, but the two I own that are smoke just fine without them.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Since it's a heavier pipe, I'll sometimes tap my son on the back of the head with it when it's empty
Were you referring to the pipe, or your son's head? :)
...and again
It doesn't seem to bother him too much and it's a good deal of fun for me.
Which? :)
I meant when my pipe is empty. My son's head is too full of girls nowadays.
It's a good deal of fun to thump someone on the back of the head with an empty pipe, it makes a satisfying sound and I recommend trying it on the nearest person you know well enough to not get punched. :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have always wanted a Savinelli, those are beautiful.

I got into Cavicchi's instead.

I don't believe my local shop sells them.

I do remember one pipe that looked very much like the Roley in The Briary at one time.

It was a nose warmer, and made so the stem could be turned (making it into a circle).

It could easily fit in a shirt pocket, when "folded" it was not more 3"'s across.

But, that was back in the early 80's.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I love Savinelli pipes. I own 4 1/2 of them, lol. The 1/2 is a Savinelli Second, so i guess you could say I have 5 of them. Every one of them smokes great. They also have a great price point.

In my opinion; for the money, they are one of the best pipes available.
I have not tried any of their pipe tobacco.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I own 2 Savinelli Pipes and I love them. One is hand made and the other machine made. They both smoke like a dream.
I have been talking to them about advertising here and offered to help with the creative ideas. That is why I posted this thread. I'm trying to come up with a slogan and ad copy for them.
SAVINELLI - It's just a darn good pipe. Period.
SAVINELLI - The Ferrari of Pipes.
SAVINELLI - Built like Sophia Loren .. and just as fun to hold and suck on. LOL!

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
When someone just starting with the pipe asks what are good pipes, my recommendation is Peterson's, Savinelli and Stanwell. All three make good pipes for the beginning or the seasoned piper in price points from just under $100 to $600 plus.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
$64.99 is a good value for the Trevi; it looks really nice with the band too. Pipes & Cigars has the same pipe for an even better value still at $60.80.
Pipes & Cigars Trevi with band...
That'd be a tough decision for me, as I've always had room for a poker shape on my pipe wish list.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'd have to vote for the 320.

It looks a little heavy, but I like the look.

I guess I'm a little partial, it similar to my first.

You know you always keep a place in your heart for your first love.

danishpuffer

Lurker
Feb 8, 2010
I think Savinelli pipes are a bit of a bargain (even in the land of neverending, stupendous taxes; Denmark). I have 3 of them, my very first pipe was a bent amber-stem Savinelli. I think they all smoke really good, except with tobaccos that tend to smoke a bit hot. Most Savinellis seem to be on the lighter side, so a hot aromatic isn't very nice in them. The 6mm balsa filter system is actually quite good, since it detracts nothing from the smoking experience (IMHO), but may save you from unpleasant wet surprises from the pipestem. Experienced pipesmokers probably don't need these, but I like them :). So for the price I think it's hard to get a better pipe.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I am currently waiting on my general's to get here and I ordered them off of MM.com

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
Damn Phil you are just going crazy with new pipes.
The Dublin looks real nice. I don't like the ball style of pipe.

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
I have a Savinelli 305 (Roma)

Love it - it's best features are thick walls so smokes cool. Very rounded brim that curves nicely into the bowl and the air flow over it keeps it lit really well outdoors. Rusticated finish, flattened diamond shank and pale, translucent golden stem. It comes with a pack of toblerone shaped balsa wood filters which I put straight in the bin! Great, great pipe second only to some of my Petersons and equally, better than some of my Petersons!!

Status
Not open for further replies.