PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
The final pipe in my newbie expanding rotation is a toss-up between a Savinelli and a BC.
Both are under $70 (about $10 difference), both are bent.

Savinelli would be a Tevere Rustic 626

BC would be either a Marseille Rusticated or a Regence smooth
So, considering this is the final pipe in my rotation (at least for a while until the pipe budget is replenished), what would be your purchase ? Anyone any experiences with either one of those three above ?
I have a Sav 616KS and have a hard time keeping it lit properly. But honestly, I'm still breaking it in. The BC Star I have, smokes like a dream. So I'm leaning towards the BC. Then again, I read a lot of good on the Savinelli's, so am I having trouble with my Sav because it's still being broken in.
Thanks for helping a newbie out.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
If you dont have a Savinelli, I would recommend picking that one, unless you really enjoy BC's. I have only one BC which was a disappointing smoke for years, until I found a tobacco that it seems to like. All my Savinellis were good at the start.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I have a Sav Trivie 602 rusticated that is a absolute piece of crap I keep smoking it hoping it gets better it has been slowly improving but its been a tough road to hoe

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Rigmedic - I had the exact thing happen with my new BC. It only smokes Black House well. Everything else turns into a soggy mess, even if the tobacco was dry going in. I'm confused by it!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
See I am experiencing exactly the opposite.

Same tobacco, same packing, same puffing... BC smokes like a charm... Trouble in the Sav 616.
Could it be that, considering I am a newbie, and given that the bowl of the 616 is so much larger, I have trouble keeping it lit ?
I may go for the Sav.. The $10 difference could go some tobacco :lol:
@ kennerth: PS: final pipe obviously until the PAD fund is replenished ;-)

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Haven't had a Savinelli yet, the Caramella is on order and should be here in another week or so, so I can't say anything about them. I can note that I have a BC Daccord that took a while for me to figure out. It'd always burn really hot regardless of the blend. After a break from it though I've come back to it recently and now smoking it much more gently and sipping on it more infrequently it smokes wonderfully.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have a BC straight bulldog that is great.
Are you buying on line or getting it at a store where you can play touchy feely? I think if you can choose in person it is better? Both brands are good, but which one feels better, in your hand?

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Ok I went nuts... I admit...
I stuck with a Savinelli.. I liked the 626 shape.. So I went to a B&M here and they had the Savinelli in a 626. Absolutely gorgeous pipe. They gave me 15% off, which made it the same price as on-line with shipping. But it was still $30 more than I had planned to spend. So, a call to the lovely wife, who gave me the go ahead with the promise to take it out next months spending ;-)
Pics to follow soon.
Am I now officially a victim of PAD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.