Savinelli Onda - Is it the Pipe or the Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Been reading the raves about Trout Stream, so decided to dive in and buy a pound, since it was mentioned that it's frequently unavailable.
Loaded up a half bowl in my fairly new Savinelli Onda last night. Great pouch note, but was not too pleased with the taste after all of the raves. Hmmm. Was easy to keep lit, btw.
So, I am asking myself - Is it the Onda pipe? My other Savinelli (an Aran) smokes well, but after trying several different blends in the Onda, "I'm getting 'no cigar.'"
What could it be? This individual pipe taking much longer to break in than my other Savinelli? Is it the Trout Stream not living up to my wild expectations?
Ideas, anyone?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
so decided to dive in and buy a pound
Wow that is a lot of baccy to buy on a whim. :crazy:
I think you should

1) try it in another well broken in pipe to see if you taste a difference

2) Jar and store it for a while. Your tastes may change as well as the blend over time.

3) Break in the pipe with blends you know you like or just be prepared to have "not so excellent" smoked until you have broken it in. Then try Trout Stream again in the same pipe.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Thank you for the tips. Yes, if I adopt a hobby, I dive in with both feet! :)
Going to also try a second bowl of one of my faves so far in the Onda, just to try to rule out the break-in factor.
Any other thoughts or comments are welcome.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I grabbed a few bowl fulls of this courtesy of the Box Pass, and I can say it smells great, but the flavor was almost nil.
I'll liken it to a toned down 1Q which doesn't make a whole lot of sense because 1Q is pretty subtle as is.
I'll dry out my second bowl and give it another try, but I don't have high hopes for it. Only dogs can taste the flavor in this blend. 8)

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Currently smoking a bowl of Rum Cake in same Onda after a cleaning, and having much better results, but need for a longer break-in and personal taste differences are noteworthy.
Puffing in between t-storms here. Unable to get much of my regular work done - don't want to fry my computer, and praying that downpours don't wash away my reseeding job from yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.