PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasunepipe

Lurker
Nov 16, 2016
Texas
I am fairly green to both pipe smoking and this forum. Unfortunately like most hobbies I come across I jumped in with both feet. In a short period of time I aquired 3 briars, a cob, six tobaccos with more on the way, and a Savinelli Nonpareil that I found at a local antique mall. I looked at many pipes that day, but for some reason this one called out to me.
kXIh5sM.jpg

vlUNsyO.jpg

As you can see the stem is missing. I have been doing a bit of research and notice some posts mentioning Savinelli charging to have a new stem made for other people's pipes. I have emailed both Savinelli as well as Laudisi, what I think is the US importer, asking about this. I'm worried those forum members might have had their stems made when there was still a Savinelli HQ here in the US. I also noticed a post somewhere about having a new one made by someone. This might be my only option.
Either way as long as I can find a stem for this pipe I think I will be happy. It seems like it is in pretty good condition. As far as I can tell the ferrule made of horn rather than acrylic.
This link shows the 9614 with the acrylic ferrule:

002-033-3636.jpg

This link shows the 9614 with the real horn ferrule:

004-006-13929.jpg

(I think my pipe looks more like this one.)
I have done a salt and alcohol cleaning of the bowl. It does have a bit of a stink and not very much cake on it at all. I need to get it polished up, but I really wish I could smoke out of it.
Ebdssgx.jpg

Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoy this forum and hope to join in the community.

pasunepipe

Lurker
Nov 16, 2016
Texas
Savinelli replied to my email today. I can ship my pipe to Italy and have a new stem made for it. The cost is 28.5€ plus shipping. I assume the shipping will be very expensiv, but I am tempted to send it off.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Savinelli replied to my email today. I can ship my pipe to Italy and have a new stem made for it. The cost is 28.5€ plus shipping. I assume the shipping will be very expensiv, but I am tempted to send it off.
I think that's pretty cool. I had no idea that Savinelli offered this service? I'm sure there's no doubt that George could make a nice stem for it, and there may be others out there as well; but if it were me I'd send it to Savinelli. That's in no offense to anyone. I just think it's cool that they replied your email and offered to make a new stem for it. I would think about the pipe differently, I think?

pasunepipe

Lurker
Nov 16, 2016
Texas
This is exactly how I felt. I thought I was just being stupid, but knowing it was made by Savinelli would be neat.
I will keep George in mind though. From what I've read it sounds like he does a great job. The shipping will probably not be very cheap to Ireland, but I'm sure George is also compensated well for doing such quality work.
Savinelli also said if I'm not worried about turnaround time they can ship the pipe back to their USA partner and then ship from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.