PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
As the title is saying, I'm interested in Savinelli Minuto pipes. Until now I have had only regular size pipes (40-80 mins/smoke).

I really like to smoke in the mornings and during weekdays I don't have the opportunity to do that due to lack of time. I know, piping is about enjoying your time, which is good when you have enough but during weekdays I have only 10-15 mins for a smoke in the morning. I have found recently this Savinelli product (MINUTO RUSTICATED GREEN 310 KS) and I would like to buy it. I know, that I could smoke cigarette tobaccos from it even with a regular 6mm cigarette filter. Is it worth a try? Do you have any experience about this pipe? Or maybe something similar what you would recommend for short smokes?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Small pipes work for short smokes. When you don't have time they provide the fiction that you smoked a normal-sized pipe. You fill the bowl and burn all of it. On the other hand you could just load a normal pipe 1/4 or 1/3. But that feels odd and isn't as satisfying..

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Exactly, as you are saying. I tried 1/4 and 1/3 fillings but it is a frustrating feeling to smoke a pipe like that.

I just would like to know if this Savinelli Minuto is recommended for this purpose or not. And also, how is cigarette tobacco compared to pipe tobacco? I smoked only a few simple cigarettes, not hand-rolled ones and that was long time ago, so I have no experience with cigarette tobaccos.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I like shorter smokes and often fill a Savinelli 315KS half full.
SP has several Minuto's for sale.
002-033-36418.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In terms of American cigarettes, and in fact much of the world, as American cigarettes are popular there as well, cigarette tobacco has a characteristic flavor, which, if you like it, is reason to smoke cigarette tobacco in a pipe. However, there are thousands? of pipe tobacco blends, and you will find forums and tobaccoreviews of less utility as the discussion therein is about pipe tobacco.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I don’t have a Minuto, but I do have a handful of similarly proportioned pipes, which I often smoke while driving to work. My current favorite has a very small chamber; .56” width by 1.2” depth. I get about a 20-30 minute smoke out of this, and I think the small chambered pipes actually make English/Balkan blends really sing. I would highly recommend trying one.
Certain examples of Savinelli’s Petite line are similar in size, mostly the Punto Oro models.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Thank you for the answers! I will try out Minuto, I like the appearance the most and I think it is worth the price.

It is good to know that not I'm the only one dealing with this problem. :)

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I don't have the minuto but I prefer smaller pipes. I got a few off eBay for a good deal. If you search for shag pipe you will find the seller. Back in the day people would smoke shag cut tobacco in small pipes for a quick smoke. Peter Stokkebe Norwegian blend is a high quality shag cut.
There's this Scottish tv show on Netflix called Still Game. One of the main characters smokes roll your own cigarette tobacco in his pipe. Funny show if you haven't seen it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Daniel7:Moreover,Savinelli has very attractive line up called Petite,sSmokingpipes.com do stock them, and btw,to Your kind knowledge,I still do happen to have one smallish Chacom Classic for sale listed on the Pipe trade column)

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Thank you so much, I'm going to check these other pipes as well, and also this Netflix series!
The Savinelli Petite series can be used with regular 6mm filters?

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I more prefer to have at least the possibility to put filter into it especially in the case of using cigarette tobacco. Those are small pieces of leaves and the pipe is also short, so it is better to have something in the way of ash/dirt/coal. I would never use filter in a churchwarden or in the case of a very delicious smoke, but small pipes are a different story.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Over the years, I've mentioned the French pipes sold by Iwan Ries, the Ewa, which are group 2 (quite small). No one else has ever mentioned them that I recall, and I don't think anyone else has taken up my suggestion. These are good French pipes, solid quality, but I think people are put off by the modest prices, under forty bucks. Some are churchwardens, or shorter pipes in that style. They are perfect "coffee break" pipes, as IR lists them in its paper catalog. I'd really take a look at these. It is a great way to try a smaller pipe without spending a lot, and they are better than average quality in my opinion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
paulie', quite likely ... it seems Spain is getting into the pipes business more than before. I've never associated Spain much with pipes, though they may have had a booming local market, but now I keep hearing rumblings of how various pipe brands have some work done in spain, or some pipes done in Spain. I think it is like automobile components. What used to be national identities of car brands has now translated into most cars being made from components from all over the world. It's just economics.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
The Kaywoodie Campus is another fun short smoke. It does not have the filter, but it does have a stinger which also keeps the smaller tobacco at bay. I love small pipes for the right occasion as I don't like partial bowl or the so called delayed gratification technique.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Crashthegrey:Here I'm just like You,then there is lots of smaller sized pipes to choose from among Ropp Vintage and Junior Series available at smoking pipes.com, just had me a long stem acorn with pretty small chamber, only one drawback might be that the smoke itself from smaller chambered pipes may taste a bit more woodsy,yet some of the models tend to create heat more than those with medium to large chambered pipes.

Mso489:I do agree, so true, for instance, I've been told the British manufacturer BlakemarBriar's going this way, and what about Dunhills white dots?Some say they do turn them bowls in Spain and ships them back to England,and Yes, despite the fact that Spain offers quite a wide array of pipe tobaccos,You ain't seeing much of pipe folks out there, perhaps even less than in Italy for that matter,

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Thanks for all the tips and alternatives! At first I'm trying the Minuto, I have already ordered one (cherrywood shape) because I trust in Savinelli quality. If I will be satisfied with this little gem, then I'm opened to try other tiny types as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.