PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Morning Gents,
I got that Savineli Spring (614) I won from last month's caption contest early last week (if I remember correctly), and I have to say an emphatic "WOW!". I have avoided Savs, despite their positive reputation, because I tend to avoid pipes with filters and adapters. First of all, the pipe itself is a beauty. The stain and the grain looks great. I was surprised by how light it is. I decided to go ahead and try it as it was designed, and use one of the balsa filters. The draw was smooth and perfect. I have been lighting up Boswell's No Bite Delight in it, and have smoked it about 4 times. Each time, the draw was perfect, and the bowl smoked down to ashes. The smoke was full and thick, and I never got any gurgle. I own a couple Petes and Stanwells, and will probably go for Savs over them in the future.

EDIT: I keep re-sizing them, but it doesn't seem to want to work today.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I used to put the adapters in and use the balsa filters in my corn cobs if I was going to be smoking them all day. That being said, I have since taken the adapters out, and I like the draw better. Just a thought for when your experimenting.
Congrats on the winning the contest.

Mar 3, 2014
Thats a beauty! My favourite is my Savinelli trevi 616, I dont use the balsa filter and really love the open draw and it smokes like a dream. They are great pipes!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Good looking pipe! I have a 614 Roma Lucite myself, it's a great smoker as well. I've also got one or two more Savs that smoke great as well.

Congrats on a great pipe!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
That's a great looking pipe. I love Savinelli pipes and have 4 of them. I use the balsa filters and I've never had an issue with them. I actually prefer the way it smokes with the filters over the adapter.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Good looking pipe. I just ventured into the world of Savinelli myself and was blown away at the quality of smoke compared to the price. I've paid way more and gotten way less in pipes past.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Congrats on the winning the contest. I have two Savinelli 804KSs and I love them.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Congrats on the pipe and great to hear you're enjoying it! One of my favorite pipes is my Sav 607KS Trevi. Just feels great on the clench, sits well while clenching, and it smokes like a dream. Can't ask for more than that in a pipe.

Mar 3, 2014
Hmmm, all this Savinelli makes me think I just might have to go buy the trevi 320KS on friday to keep my 616 company. I mean its the responsible thing to do, not letting it be the only Savinelli in the house.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I just picked up a new Sav from their Petite line, the 402 if I remeber correctly. Great little smoke, and no filter, period. I'm pretty sure the reason behind this is that the stem is too small for the filter system. Nonetheless, no complaints from me :)

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I love my Savinelli pipes quite a bit. I've got three now though I did let a few go to trade several years ago and regret getting rid of. I have always appreciated that Savinelli makes consistently great smokers from their low end pipes on up. You can never go wrong with one.
As for the filters and adapters, I never bother with them. My pipes smoke just without.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Good to hear all the positive remarks about Savinelli. I have a green alligator on order and looking forward to trying it out. My business logo/color is very similar to the green in the photos and, of course, gotta have a St. Patty's Day pipe... right? ;-)

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
That's a beauty. I have two Savinelli's. One is a Petite 202 that I love and only take it out when I go to a nice dinner with my wife. I also took it to France last November. It's just too nice for me to smoke all the time. No filter.
My other Savinelli uses a filter. I also prefer smoking it with the Balsa filter. I used to smoke the hell out of it and it has a heavy English ghost. I don't smoke Latakia much anymore, but when I'm in the rare mood, that's what I usually grab. I don't think I have a pipe that smokes as dry as this one does with the filter.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Congrats on that beauty. I have about a dozen Sav's and love each one. I never use filters in them and they perform perfectly. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I haven't bought a Savanelli yet, mainly due to the filter thing. Glad to see many of you opt for it, not use it, ans/or the adapter. My questions are, how often do you change the filter! What about cleaning?

Thanks for the info, I might be prone to give one a try. Blessings !!

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Yes, Savinelli makes a nice pipe and I am quite fond of mine (only one, so far). As filters go, the Savinelli balsa filter is not bad and, were it not for the pain of remembering to order them and keep a supply on hand, I might even use them. Mostly I smoke sans filter. I did get an adapter, but find that no filter and no adapter works fine and, as others have mentioned, gives a nice open draw. Congrats on your prize, it is a great looking pipe. I'm partial to saddle bits so yours looks especially nice to me. I'm sure you'll have decades of good smoking with your new Sav.

Status
Not open for further replies.