PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Guibileo D'Oro means "gold medal" (edit: "Golden Jubilee") in Italian. It's Savinelli's highest grade of standard shape pipe, and the only line they produce that is guaranteed to not have fills of any kind.
This one was bought new in 1979 in a strip mall B&M in Topeka, Kansas, as part of a pipe hunt road trip. i.e. how it was done in pre-Internet days. :lol:
I keep meaning to get around to evening out the depth of color on the bowl, but obviously intent alone doesn't work. :wink: (It was left for a bit in the Phoenix sun years ago which faded a side and rear corner.)
I have a second 515KS Guibileo D' Oro that's fast friends with this one. They must always be stored next to each other in my rack or they start to whimper and whine like puppies.
55.5 grams, 5.7" long
P1020089.jpg

P1020093.jpg

P1020094.jpg

P1020095.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
And all this time I thought Guibileo D'Oro meant "Golden Jubilee".
And you were exactly right all that time time. :lol:
This sort of thing is why newspapers and magazines have editors.
Especially cringe-worthy to my pride because I actually knew that, just air-headed it when typing. I did the same thing a couple weeks ago. This is still in the BBB post:
Also, I just realized I put "Best Make" in the thread header when I meant to type "Own Make"... :evil: (Hopefully a mod will take pity on me and change it. I hate that part of Life where people point and laugh at what a dumbass you are.)
So, thank you pappymac for reducing the duration "bad info spread". :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No! It means "golden shower"!! :mrgreen:
George- I notice a number of tiny white spots in some of the photos, suggesting dust on a negative, but in todays digital age, can you enlighten me?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I notice a number of tiny white spots in some of the photos, suggesting dust on a negative, but in todays digital age, can you enlighten me?
Good question. It isn't light blocking specks on a negative (of course), it's actual, real-world dust on the object being photographed.
My shop is inside my house, you see. The living room, in fact. (I shit you not). The rest, as they say, follows naturally. :lol:
There are ways with today's software to retouch photos digitally, but it's too time consuming for this wham-bam "daily pipe" thing I've been doing.
-
PS --- and I just noticed it happened AGAIN. I meant to type "...duration OF 'bad info spread'." in my previous post.
This edit lock business is exquisitely pissifying. :evil: :evil: :evil:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have two GDO's in my collection, gifts from a friend. I'm a fan of the no-filter, vulcanite stems, the button ends are as good as it gets.
KS625

904KS

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
george, great looking birdseye on that puppy. Congrats on another great addition to your collection.
al, both of yours are beauties. I was not aware they came with vulcanite stems. I really didn't need to know this.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good question. It isn't light blocking specks on a negative (of course), it's actual, real-world dust on the object being photographed.
My shop is inside my house, you see. The living room, in fact. (I shit you not). The rest, as they say, follows naturally. :lol:
Just saw this..... If your photos weren't tack sharp and nicely lit, we'd never see the dust!
And, oh, yeah, super grain on that Jubilee....

Status
Not open for further replies.