Savinelli: Ginger's Favorite..

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by dochudson
  • Latest reply from jpmcwjr
  1. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

from Smoking Pipes.. is this guy serious or pulling our leg?
    Ginger's Favorite

being a somewhat young(ish) late twenty-something, I was ashamed to ask who "Ginger" Rogers was, knowing the angry backlash I would probably receive from asking some of the older members of our staff. Although my knowledge of the 30s and 40s cinema is limited, I will certainly redeem myself by watching "42nd Street" the next time it comes on TCM. And though I can find absolutely no picture or reference to Mrs. Rogers's affinity for pipe smoking, beyond the song duet "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", I can certainly see why this pipe may have been her favorite. The gentle curve and graceful length, this dapper bent Apple, adorned with a handsome horn-colored stem, is as light, nimble and beautiful as Ginger herself--a perfect ode to the silver screen starlet. Or could it just be that the long Churchwarden helped her avoid those times when "smoke" got "in her eyes"?
    -Seth Ellison-

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. 12pups

12pups

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipes and Cigars lists it as a tribute to Ginger Baker of the band Cream

Ginger's Favorite

Ginger Baker

And mentioned in this Pipes Magazine thread Looks like he's smoking a Falcon, though.

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has never overcome them. -- Carl Jung
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ginger's Favorite

Ginger Baker

And mentioned in this Pipes Magazine thread Looks like he's smoking a Falcon, though.

that's what I have always read that it was a tribute to drummer Ginger Baker of the band Cream.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got it cause it's a long pipe.
    I didn't want a churchwarden, and the Clark's favorite is too flashy for me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to think that Ginger Rogers would smoke a pipe like this. Probably never happened. But in addition to being a great dancer, and actress, she had a great sense of comedic flair. Two of my favorites, Roxie Hart, a movie based on the play Chicago, which was later made into a movie a few years ago. She was truly funny, and well, just forget about political correctness! My other fave was Monkey Business with Cary Grant and Marilyn Monroe. Some great slap stick here if you like that sort of stuff.
    How about Ginger Rogers having a smoke with Ginger Baker, yeah now were talking!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This made me laugh.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. 12pups

12pups

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had written to correct the person/s at Smoking Pipes. I received this email in return.

Dear Sir,

Yes, the Ginger's Favorite series is dedicated to famed silver-screen actress and dancer Ginger Rogers.

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

There is also a Payless Pipes site. They are saying the same thing, that it's a tribute to Ginger Rogers.

(This is the trivial nonsense that keeps me awake at night. Not politics. Not serial killers or wars overseas. Whether Baker or Rogers gets credit for a pipe!)

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. 12pups

12pups

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoking Pipes just replied to me again (24/7 customer service! How 'bout that!).

They are confident it is Rogers, and gave me the LDG (Laudisi, U.S. rep for Savinelli USA since 2012 and the BM for Smoking Pipes) link:

http://www.laudisi.com/savinelli-pipes.cfm/gingers-favorite-1482

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. twangthang

twangthang

Login to Send PM

I looked on Savinelli's web page and they don't indicate which Ginger they refer to. I always tended to think it was Ginger Rogers as they have one dedicated to Clark Gable and one to Bing Crosby. It just seems to follow in logical sequence it would be another star from that time.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The art deco-esque stem and overall graceful aspect of the the pipes certainly are evocative of the height of 1930s style, and so was the inimitable Ginger. Works for me whether or not she ever actually smoked a pipe, which is pretty unlikely.

Viewing with alarm since 1948.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. 12pups

12pups

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@twangthang

That makes sense. Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

natenice1

Login to Send PM

I can agree with agnosticpipe about Monkey Business, we don't see blondes like that on the Silver Screen anymore, as for Ginger never heard of a pipe reference but I've seen her dancing partner Fred Astaire with one on rare occasion! As for me I prefer the Bing's Favorite.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ginger's Favorite

Ginger Baker

They did, but later, after research, changed it to Ms. Rogers.

SAVINELLI GINGER'S FAVORITE PIPES

Ginger's favorite pays homage to Ginger Rogers, who enjoyed a pipe between scenes.. This is presented with the same style and graceful lines of the Churchwarden. Get a cool smoke and look sophisticated when you smoke this lovely pipe.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   greeneyes, anthonyrosenthal74, jiminks, glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, madox07, mrenglish, cigrmaster, danimalia, alaskanpiper, condorlover1, tkcolo, jpmcwjr