PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have a Savinelli Capri which I've been told is old and somewhat rare. Is there a way to find out the year of the pipe? I have found some info that said they were made very early on, and stopped production in the early 1950's. Stampings read- Savinelli Capri root briar 904 Italy. And has the S shield with two crossed pipes over it. I have a youtube channel of pipes I've restored, and I like to give Accurate descriptions if possible.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
They were certainly made also later than the '50s. There may have been breaks in their production, but they are manufactured again. Smokingpipes.com has new Capris at the moment. At half price!
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/index.cfm?tag=Capri

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I can't say for certain what dates the Capri line was made, but I believe that the earlier Savinelli pipes had a 4 digit shape number. I think I read that sometime in either the 60s or early 70s they changed to the 3 digit shape number. So if your pipe has a 3 digit shape number it is probably a newer pipe rather than an earlier pipe. But still, it could be 30-40 years old! I have one Capri, also a 904 in the natural finish. One of my favorite Savinelli shapes, and a great smoker too!

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I just bought one of those Savinelli's on sale. I don't know what they were selling for before but the sale price is lower than any Peterson!

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I've owned a handful of them over the years and they are great pipes. No one seems to know when they stopped production. Mid to late 70's or very early 80's is what I've heard most. The new one's SP started selling will only add to the confusion. Great pipes. 2nd's to the Punto Oro Corallos. I sold most of them only because I was able to slowly get Corallo's and I liked the naked finish a bit better.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@ Max, did the resurrection of this old post have anything to do with your new Sav purchase? It's great to hear these are being made again. I have a Capri 904 that my grandfather bought in the 50's, and I've always wanted a Capri Canadian. Damn it, now that I've seen your new Capri, I have to get one! It's a vicious cycle...
pXZYseHl.jpg

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Dave - I hadn't seen this thread when I bought the Savenelli I show in the General forum. I think the wizardry of this site lead me to it. I'd had their Punto Oro (is that the right name?) version of it in my wish list for quite a while. I actually think the Capri version I got is more attractive. And a lot less expensive at $92.50!

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
[...] I think they stopped making these ten or so years ago, and the ones Smokingpipes has are New Old Stock, if I'm correct.
This could very well be true. I remember that around ten years ago you'd still find new batches on European sites, but later only sporadically.
Conversely, I had a Sav Capri I bought around that time that I quite liked despite the couple of largish fills that appeared when the pipe started to darken. Then one day the pipe disappeared completely. Odd. This one fill photo is the only thing what's left:
savCapriFills2.jpg

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
NOS? So when these are gone ...

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/index.cfm?tag=Capri
There's at least one other there I'd like to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.