PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I straightened the stem on my Bings Favorite. I took a hair dryer and heated up the stem enough to straighten it then held it there while I dipped the stem in cold water. I bought this pipe from smokingpipes a few weeks ago and haven't gotten around to smoke it yet. Lately I've been enjoying my Stanwell 2010 pipe of the year more. But, I like it better with the straightened stem. Just thought I would share. You're the only people who could appreciate it as much as I do.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
That's a really nice pipe! There's one of my pipes I would love to straighten the stem, but don't want to risk it since I don't have experience doing so.
Do you like the 2010 Stanwell? I ordered one a few weeks ago during P&C sale and have yet to smoke it, but I definitely love the look of it.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Would that shape be called a campus? Sort of like a Canadian but with a longer stem? What did it look like before?
It looks nice!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I recently bought a Bing myself, still waiting for it to show up though. I do enjoy the bend in the stem and don't plan on mucking with it.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have the rusticated bowl and it's one of my best smoking pipes. It feels so nostalgic in a 50's sort of way. I'm looking to get a Bing pipe from Boswell Pipes. The Boswell version looks more like the pipe that Bing Crosby actually smoked. You can see them on their site in the Pipe Gallery. Can't say how much they cost, but Boswell pipes generally run from $100 up. I sent them 2 e-mails a few days ago but they haven't answered. Guess I'll just have to call them.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I have 5 Bing's Favorites. I have straightened every stem. The bend annoys me.

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Nice, I like that without the bend. I have a Chiara stained Bing's Favorite, as well as one like you have pictured. The bend has never bothered me, but that damn golf club sure does.
li7yBVn.jpg

jeffboyrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2012
Thinking about Bing has me all sentimental, here is one of "Bing's Favorites"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfuvf0qoccw

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Yea, I love my 2010 Stanwell POY. When I saw it advertised in 2010 I knew I had to have it. They are really hard to come by now. Not sure about the campus shape. Thanks everyone else.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
My Bing Favorite has an acrylic stem, can an acrylic stem be bent just like a vulcanite stem?
Yes, but they usually require a higher temp.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I really like Savinelli pieps (I own 19 of them), but I never cared for their Bing because it was true to the specs of the Merchant Service pipes that he smoked. The sandblast and bend were not things Crosby cared for, and yeah, I really dislike the golf club logo on the side. I got Basil Meadows to make one for me, and he used the correct specs, and made me a great pipe at a reasonable price.
RBlood just got one, too. Here's the link to see his, which is just like mine: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/basil-meadows-bing-crosby

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nice job straightening that stem. That's a real nice looking pipe. I too like the Bing's Favorite but haven't purchased one as I don't care for the golf club either. :puffy:

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
Nice job on straightening that stem, certainly makes it look more like what you see in pictures of the man smoking a pipe.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I have always thought that a Bing should be at least 7 in. Might not be true to the exact specs of the Merchant Services pipes, but all of my commissions that I have had done I had made at 7.25. Gives you about 1/4 in. of clenching space and plenty of pipe.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I haven't bought a Sav yet that I didn't like, including my Bing's and Clark's Favorite. I haven't tried a Ginger's Favorite yet. Probably won't get that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.