PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Just received a MM Freehand, Diplomat, and Mark Twain. I don't like paper filters but am fond of Savinelli's balsa system. Tried them last night on the Diplomat and Twain, and they fit perfectly and the draw was just right for my tastes.
I have an offer out on a couple of Savinellis. If I'm turned down I'm going to put the money in Forever Stems.
BTW, I agree that the MMs smoke as well as most, if not all, of my much more expensive pipes. (But I refuse to pay more for a pipe than a john boat would cost or a decent fly rod)

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
The Savs work very well plus they help tighten up the draw a bit which seems to me to frequently be rather too open on cobs with no filter being used.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Just to be clear: the Forever Stems will not accept a filter. However, the draw is tighter then the very large opening on the MM plastic stems as the opening in the Forever Stems is only approximately 3mm. To me, just the right draw.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Just to throw this in there, Brigham Rock Maple filters will work in a cob or any pipe that uses the paper/Medico filters. You may have to trim them down, but they work.
-Jason

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
agree with why put a $25+ stem on a sub $10 pipe? the Danish bits are fine. as for filters, if you're into the balsa filters stop in a hobby shop and pick-up Balsa Triangular Strips and an X-acto knife. strips are 36" and run around $2 in about 30 minutes you will have plenty of filters.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
agree with why put a $25+ stem on a sub $10 pipe?
Where did anyone imply that purchasing a Forever Stem is a poor investment on this thread? Either way,I'll have to respectively disagree that purchasing a Forever Stems is a waste of money. Number one, if a cob is properly taken care of it should, for all practical purposes, last a lifetime. Secondly, even though a MM cob is cheap and might become damaged with misuse the Forever Stem can be used again and again for the next purchase of a cob, or cobs. Ergo the name: 'Forever Stem'. In my opinion, a great investment. :wink:

Reactions: Dirty D

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Yup, 6mm and 9mm filters fit in 6mm and 9mm stems/bits.
A Sav 9mm balsa fits in 9mm filter pipe.
A 6mm Sav balsa fits in a Grabow, corn cob, etc.

Mar 1, 2014
I still like sticking a pipe cleaner in my filter compatible stems. The pipe cleaners seem to do an especially good job of preventing gurgle (lots of absorption capacity).

Oh dear, I just had a terrible, terrible idea. Regardless of how well it may work I'm not even going to try.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Agreed. Just ordered a Forever Stem. Kind of like putting mags on a $500 Dodge Dart junker but am curious.
agree with why put a $25+ stem on a sub $10 pipe?
Where did anyone imply that purchasing a Forever Stem is a poor investment on this thread? Either way,I'll have to respectively disagree that purchasing a Forever Stems is a waste of money. Number one, if a cob is properly taken care of it should, for all practical purposes, last a lifetime. Secondly, even though a MM cob is cheap and might become damaged with misuse the Forever Stem can be used again and again for the next purchase of a cob, or cobs. Ergo the name: 'Forever Stem'. In my opinion, a great investment. :wink:
well comparing putting $500 mags on a Dodge Dart kind of implies not so great an investment.
if you like forever stems by all means use as many as often as you want. I'm sorry I didn't follow the party line on forever stems. but, again IMHO putting a $25 stem on an $8 pipe when a 49 cent bit will work as well isn't cost effective. I own a forever stem one of them real shorts ones to make a nose warmer but can't remeber the last time I used it.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Got my Forever Stem just in time. Coincidentally, while I was waiting to receive my order, the stem on my Diplomat started fitting very loosely for some reason. Think I may have overheated the pipe and it actually damaged the stem.
In any event, I got my 2 and 3/4 inch spear model, stuck it on and have to say that I'm very pleased. It is comfortable, hangs nicely and the sand swirl finish looks like it was custom designed for cobbs - oh, right, it was. :wink:
Now, in all truthfulness, the standard stem that comes with the MM cobbs feels great, looks good and is probably lighter than the Forever stems. But there is value in aesthetics and I liked the Forever Stem so much, that I've already ordered a three inch tortoise saddle bit and will order the 3.5 inch standard tortoise along with a new Fifth Avenue as soon as Dave gets the blanks back in stock.
On reflection, I would revise my analogy of putting "putting $500 mags on a Dodge Dart junker." Instead, I might compare fitting MM cobbs with Forever Stems to putting $500 mags on a VolksWagon bug."
Now, I'm thinking back to the sixties and seventies when the Bug was an inexpensive but reliable car with a certain charm and personality. People loved that car and it wasn't unusual to see pimped-out VWs. Cobbs are more like the old VWs than junk Dodges. They, too, are inexpensive, reliable, and do the job as well as many more expensive pipes and better than some.
My wife sometimes asks me why I need a new pipe, fishing rod or box of cigars. Sometimes I respond candidly, that I don't need them, I want them.
BTW, my experience with Dave at BriarWorks was outstanding. Polite, patient, informative, helpful and efficient. I'll add my kudos regarding his company to the many already proffered my members of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.