PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uchiacon

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
I've been looking at this sav on ebay. The stem has clear teeth marks on it and the pipe has obviously been more than "lightly" used. I had a chat to the seller and bought up the signs of usage but he refused to lower the price by 50 or 60$.
He's one of those grifter type antiques dealers; they rubbish everyone else's stuff and offer there's up as holy salvation. He threw a lot of BS sales pitch at me but I didn't bite.
What does everyone else think? moderately used sav #5 autograph worth $200? I'm hearing people saying 100-$130 for these ones used.
uch
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title, per Rule #9, L.

uchiacon

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
He was going on about how his photos were so honest and clear, when the two most important pictures, the bowl and the finish of th ebowl, are very blurry and hard to make out.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I would shop elsewhere.
They are too abundant, and a much lower price than $200 can be found with due time.

uchiacon

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
Where else could I look? ive had a good look through ebay and google. Should I just wait and keep an eye on ebay>

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Check estate sellers
Pulvers briar

Make law pipes

Walker briar works

The briar pipe

Briar blues

Smoking pipes
And then the usual ebay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
They pop up on Ebay a lot, just set and save a search for "Savinelli Autograph". I bet there are 20+ a week new listings. Just wait for the right one. I haven't necessarily watched #5 Autographs, but have seen decent 3-4 grade pipes go for just over $100. Ebay seller "ShinyPipes" has about 6 Autograph pipes listed now.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
uchiacon, seems as though you answered your own question with your comments after your OP. Trust your intuition and have a look at rothnh's suggestion.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Ebay seller "ShinyPipes" has about 6 Autograph pipes listed now.
Be wary of shinypipes. They have been caught photoshopping out fills. Personally, I would never buy from them.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The PipeRack 5 looks like a smart buy for $150, which is what ShinyPipes has as a BIN for a grade 4.
SAV1057L__01011.1366244296.1280.1280.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.