Savinelli 320 vs 321--Help with Size Difference?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Hi friends,
Can anyone here post a picture of the size difference between Savinelli's 320 & 321 author shape? I can read measurements all day--but if someone here owns them both and could be troubled to take a few pics of them next to each other, it would help me understand the scale difference. I've held the 320, it was a bit too large for me, but I loved the shape.
The new Menta 321 that smokingpipes has is really tempting. I hope someone here can help. And thanks!

May 4, 2015
Can't help you with a direct comparison photo, but Ill pass this link on that shows them side by side on ruler with side by side specs to compare. I think it should give you a pretty good idea. If the 320 was only "a bit" too large, it seems the 321 would be perfect for you. After all, they probably made the 321 for people just like you.
Savinelli 320 vs 321 Comparison

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with one as I was in the same camp. My 320's were gathering dust as the bowls were too big for my current tastes. Have 2 321's and love 'em. The Punto sandblasted has a bigger bowl (.83) than my 321 rusticated 'One' (really quite small bowl) I believe is what it's called (the starter pipe set thing.) Both smoke great. Yeah, I've been checking out the Menta this week as they are finally avail here in the US. Not sure I need a another one. A fairly expensive Sav offering even in Europe

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I bought a 320KS. The bowl is loo big for me, plus the extra weight makes it harder to clench. The stem is uncomfortable in my mouth, it is too fat. Also the wide bowl doesn't burn as well, it wants to burn down the center and leave the edges unburnt.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Being blessed with inherited pipes & several estate finds, the first new pipe I ever bought was a Savinelli 320: loved the look. Unfortunately, it was too big. To this day it was *the pipe* I regret not being able to keep--we all have different preferences & 320 never suited me well. But man, what a beauty it was.
When Savinelli produced the 321 I thought maybe I could revisit this shape in a smaller package. I'm still uncertain. I'm awful at judging size from measurements, even if I get out the ol ruler. But, I'm really taken by this one & am so, so tempted:
savinelli_menta_321_01.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The 320 big? I would consider those dimensions a nice little pocket pipe.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Ha! Yeah, I know. To each their own, right? Most of my pipes are hand-me-downs--mostly small by today's standards. Or my gramps and dad just preferred small pipes--and now I gravitate to what I grew up with/I don't know any better!
One thing all my pipes have in common is a slender shank/stem. The 320 author is defo out of that comfort zone.
Having said that, I have an Ardor I'm pretty sure I could put wheels on and call a chariot.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have 321 Dolomite and do find the bowl size is just perfect for me,although that light manufacturer bowl varnish coating disappeared after a few bowlful were smoked, yet the stem itself were a tad off line other than that very nice smoking pipe.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
Is there a 321 that comes with a vulcanite stem?

I've seen no indication of one in my research but I figured it might be worth asking the resident experts.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As far as I know, Savinelli no longer uses vulcanite stems. Perhaps in the Autograph line but think even those are now acrylic (filter) stems.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
As long as this thread has been necro-bumped, I can't help but wonder what the OP was thinking...
I've held the 320, it was a bit too large for me, but I loved the shape.
If you love the shape but the 320 is too big, what choice do you have but to go with the smaller 321?
I love the shape too, but I need another pipe like Mrs. Cortez (aka Shoe Lady) needs another pair of pumps. :rofl:

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I too love the 320 shape and will probably break down and buy a rusticated 321 eventually. Only thing stopping me right now is that I need another pipe like I need another hole in the head haha :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.