PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
So... I don't believe I've ever EVER heard a single bad thing about a Savinelli 320. In fact, from what I gather, it seems that everything that can be smoked smokes better in a 320, and tastes better in a 320. Honestly, I've been thinking about getting one for quite some time, I have just never gotten around to pulling the trigger on one, and I'm still not sure I will anytime soon. It seems that every time I think to look for one, something else catches my attention, or I'm just not able to make a purchase at that time. But I still want to know. What is it exactly about the 320 that is so wonderful? What makes it smoke so well? Is it the draw, the shape, the width and depth of the chamber? These are things I would think would play an important roll in how well the pipe smokes and effect its flavor. But is it really these things? Or is it something else? Is there a wizard casting a spell on the pipe to make it magical? Or does it come from magical briar? Haha... maybe the 320 is a gift from the pipe fairy. I don't know, but I want to know. What say you all?

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Ah, gotcha: SPC Mississippi River does not smoke well in my 320 KSs*. The flavor gets muted when compared to, say, a Peterson 312 (where it does great).
So now that we have the exception to the rule, I'd say the 320 KS has a lot going for it: generous chamber, thick enough walls to tolerate hot burning blends, drilled with a filter in mind (so the draw is really good), and probably the definitive take on the Author shape currently in production (Comoy 256s, to my mind, remain the best Authors ever.)
Time for some PAD, eh? :)
* Note I'm emphasizing KS. I have a Carmette with EX-like dimensions in which MR smokes fine. So go figure.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Anthony-
If you get a car like Mr. Jones' and smoke that Sav with the top down, chicks will be all over your like mustard on a hot dog... At least that's my experience with a Ryan Alden blast author....So everything about it is better!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have a 320 KS Venere. It has never failed me and is on my top 10 list of my favorite pipes for all the reasons r gives. I'm used to smoking the more beefy English and Balkan blends and it handles those really well.

Jun 27, 2016
They're not flake pipes, but other than that I like my Brebbia 602s, which are very similar to the 320s.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been eyeing the Tundra 320s for quite some time, but lately I've been looking at the new Marte line. But the new 2016 St. Nick pipes are quite nice, as well. I'm thinking, if I get one in the near future, either one of those would be great for my first 320.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
The author and its variants are very well rounded shapes for smoking any blend! They are also extremely fun to make!

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I have a Trevi 320 KS. I've had it since this past Christmas. Don't smoke it a lot, though, so i don't think it is completely broken in yet.

My only note is that it still gets more moisture in the bottom than my other pipes. I don't think this is a problem, it just isn't done breaking in or building a cake in the bottom. Other than that, it is a good smoker, and I greatly enjoy it.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I wouldn't say it's my best pipe, but I really do like authors, I actually have 2 Sav 320. They look nice, they smoke very well ... a little heavy to clench, but manageable nonetheless :)

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Is the Savinelli 320 an acrylic stemmed pipe? If so I read somewhere acrylic stems are somewhat fragile/brittle rather like those on Carey 'Magic Inch' pipes.
Regards,
Jay.

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
I smoke mainly Englishes in my 320 Siena . The wide bowl brings out the nuances of every component. During the break-in it went through a period of smokes with reduced taste but now it sings like a champ. The open draw and a lot of wood makes this an excellent smoking instrument, forgiving for even the bitier blends. It's a little heavy so not really a clencher for me

Just push the "add to cart" button, we know you want to
Disclaimer: any induced pad from the above text is pure coincidence and beyond my responsibility

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I would rub out any flakes fully, but it may be the best pipe for Prince Albert, which out of the tin is a mild-medium but becomes highly neuro-palatable when you mix in some Dark Burley.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I have 3 and they all smoke wonderfully. I'm not sure if they are magical but pretty close. Great draw, stays cool. If I had to file a complaint I'd say they are a tad bit heavy for clinching, but being a beastly lil burner is part of the charm. They're definitely hard to beat for the price. You can get a Rossi Vittoria 8320 for pennies on the dollar. Same exact pipe, different stampings.

Jan 8, 2013
I've seen the Rossis, Dave. I wonder if the quality of briar or drilling is the same as with a Savinelli though. Is Rossi basically just a Savinelli second?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
As far as I know, they are Sav's with Rossi stampings. I have an 8320 and it's identical. I'll shoot some side by side pics and post them soon.
Btw, Keystone and Coors both suck equally. Drink Rolling Rock.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
I've only been doing this pipe smoking thing since March. The 320KS Roma was the third of the four pipes I bought and 9/10 is the one I smoke. I love it and find clenching is doable comfortably if you use one of those rubber bits on the stem. This pipe seriously cured me of the PAD I felt in the beginning of my pipe smoking journey. I am only now just eyeing up new pipes and am drawn to Savinelli because this pipe has been so great for me.

Jan 8, 2013
I might just try a Rossi 8320 just so I can experience a 320 and save a little money in the process. If I like it I may pick up a Sav 320 in the future.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
If I like it I may pick up a Sav 320 in the future.
That's how I started and I bought 2 more Sav's.
Here are some side by sides. Silver ring is a Sav. Gold ring is a Rossi. I modified the appearance of the Rossi to Burgundy and added the gold ring. It was all black when I got it.
Rossi 8320 stock photo.
lzD9Qe9l.jpg

jqQxFXkl.jpg

That's pipe cleaner fuzz in the Sav. Same size. Same drill. Both pass a cleaner with the stem on. As you can see, I actually use the Rossi much more. I prefer the slightly taller bit on the Rossi.
a24utQxl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.