PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I was on a mission to buy myself a Savinelli 122 for Christmas and discovered that there is also a 121, which appears to me to be an identical shape. I've looked at dozens of these pipes and can't figure out what the difference is between them.

I give up. What am I missing?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
121KS or EX, 122 not? Check out this chart.
savinellichart1-440x600.jpg

That's the only difference I can see.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Thanks Scloyd. I looked at some shape charts and noticed the ex/ks thing. Then I went and compared chamber dimensions and couldn't find a significant difference among them.

Jan 8, 2013
From the photos, if to scale, it appears the 122 is a smaller version of the 121. Much like the 320 and the newer, smaller 321. I would look up the shape on Smokingpipes.com perhaps, and compare measurements.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Ashdigger just bought a Savinelli 121---it has a military silver mount. Maybe the bowl shape came in a varieties of stems depending on the grade and your desire ?? Hoppes

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Scale can be deceiving on those charts.
I stumbled into a Savinelli EX some time ago (can't recall the shape number) and I can damned near fit my head in the chamber.
Two of my favorite smokers are KS sized Savinelli's and I don't think I even have a "normal" sized one.
Discussed in THIS THREAD.
The summary:
Regular (gr. 2.5 - 3),

KS: king size (gr. 3.5 - 4),

EX: extraordinaire (gr. 4.5 - 5)
I'm assuming these are capacities in grams for the bowls.
jay-roger.jpg

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
The 122 is one of my favorite shapes; I have several. I can tell you with certainty that the 121 is just a bigger bowled version . Check the bowl dimensions between the two, the 122 is more average and the 121 is like an XL size.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
In my opinion, the 122/121 is one of the most well-executed shapes out there. It's a perfect blend of conservative and whimsical design, and I always look forward to smoking mine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a 121 and find it an excellent broad chambered pipe. I think I'd be inclined to buy it, of the two.

Reactions: Tootoon Tan

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I only smoke Savinelli these days, I love them...quality for an affordable price. That said, after all of the Sav purchases I've made in my life, and all the research I've conducted for those purchases, I've come to figure out that their numbering method makes no sense whatsoever. If two pipes appear to be the same, and their specs are similar, my experience tells me they'll smoke almost identically anyway, so make your purchase based upon the price of the pipe, unless the bells and whistles are entertaining to you. Many times the only real difference will be the banding, stem material, stain, etc. If these are considerations, then purchase based upon what is visually appealing to you. To make a long store short, I've found that as long as the specs are close in the Savinelli line, regardless of the number, they'll smoke the same, so don't worry too much about it and buy (1) whatever is more affordable, and/or (2) whatever is 'nicer looking'.

Status
Not open for further replies.