PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope this isn't too simple-minded to mention, but it appears that the Savenelli adaptor that eliminates the balsa wood filter but also narrows the airway so it isn't wide open also works nicely in other pipes that accept a 6mm filter like the Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog, in my case, or probably in filtered MM cobs. 'Realize this hardly makes me Thomas Edison, but it is useful for those of us who love our Dr. Grabows but really don't want to smoke them with a filter or with a wide open draw. I'm field testing it now with the Royaton bulldog and will report back after a bowl or three. Seems to work fine. The Savenelli adaptors are available at most retailers; smokingpipes.com carries a package of five for four bucks. It's like wheels on luggage; why didn't I think of this long ago?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have been wanting a 6mm adapter for quite awhile, but I could never find one. Thanks!
Now, where can I buy the adapter?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I guess it stands up to reason, since I use Savinelli balsa filters in my Grabows. Sometimes I use basswood stock from craft stores, but, samey-same. I am interested to see what your results are, since I have heard a lot about Grabows "leaking" moisture when used with no filter/absorber.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So far, it works just fine, as if I were smoking a pipe designed with no filter. I'll get back if this thread stays around with at least one more report. buroak, as mentioned in the post, smokingpipes.com has these in a pack of five for four dollars. Other sites have them but seem to want a dollar apiece or a little more. This puts the Grabow much more in line with the way I smoke, and will keep it in the regular rotation, which is great. It's my only bulldog without a bead line, but I greatly admire the shaping on the bowl, the good big bowl, and the thick walls. That's why I'm so pleased for this simple solution to smoking it without a filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.