PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I have read a LOT of the restoration blogs like Dad's Pipes and others and watched the pipe cleaners pile up. I discovered yesterday that after the first few, they can be reused nicely. I work in our spare bathroom, using the sink and hot water. Running a small stream of hot water over/through the stem and stummel while cleaning them makes the pipe cleaners go through much more easily, AND, the cleaners rinse fairly clean during the process. Of course, the fuzz wears off after a couple or three times through the nasty parts, but they do go in fairly clean and come out dirty. I am using probably half as many cleaners now with no downside at all. When the fuzz wears off, or they are too kinked or just don't come clean in the running water, then they go in the scrap heap.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
You can get the nylon set of brushed like what Daves showing for $1.99 at harbor freight. I take one of those and a small bowl of alchohal and go to town.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I have a set of brushes, but even the smallest refuses to go into those non-removable stingers.
Hmmm... now I will have to save, dry and package the used 'estate pipe cleaners' for ebay... good idea Warren. :mrgreen:

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I've tried the Harbor Freight brushes. They're okay, but the bristles flatten quickly. I also rinse and reuse pipe cleaners during restoration work, but generally just wipe them with a paper towel. I often cut them in half, too.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Why didn't I think of cutting them? Thanks for that! Quite often the middle is still pure white because it never gets used.

Status
Not open for further replies.