PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Well, I just finished my second smoke in the 320, this time without the converter. With a converter in, this pipe smoked beautifully on its maiden smoke. With the converter out for the second smoke, it really came alive. With the wide open draw, this pipe, again with Black Frigate, produced a lot of smoke with little effort. Again, it produced great flavor, and I didn't know my tobacco was gone, until... well, it was gone. Why it took me so long to finally pull the trigger on one of these is beyond me. I suppose, I chalked a lot of the talk to just that... talk. No, this thing smoked amazingly on its first smoke, and even better on its second. The bowl did get a little warmer on this smoke about two thirds into it. I slowed down enough that it went out and had to relight. But that's perfectly fine. After lighting it back up again it was back to yummy and smokey tobacco bliss. I will DEFINITELY be getting another 320! Hopefully soon. I think I'll let it rest tomorrow. But I'm thinking about a third smoke on Tuesday with a different blend, to see how it does with something other than Black Frigate. I'm not ruling out dedicating this to that blend, but I would like to see how it smokes something else.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Another soldier joins the ranks of the 320 Mafia.
Congrats on the new burner.
They smoke even better once you've put a few miles on them.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I love my Savinelli pipes and I like mine with the filter in as I think they smoke cooler and dryer; however, I do smoke them sometimes without the filter. I prefer the filter, but as for the converter tube or whatever you want to call it; I don't like smoking my Savinelli's with the converter in. I don't think the converter tube adds any benefit to the smoke, but I don't think it takes away from the smoke either.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I just had a bowl of GLP Union Square in my Savinelli Trevi 320 Rusticated.

Man, I don't know what's wrong with this pipe.

It seems like every bowl I have with it sucks.

Now, one constant element that I noticed is that, for some unknown reason, I am systematically busy when I used this pipe. Walking outside with the wife chatting, busy working on the computer. And another constant is that I smoke much faster when busy.

The next bowl will be somewhere alone, with nothing to do, no phone, no nothing. Just me, the pipe and the tobacco. Maybe some sweet English.

Jan 8, 2013
Sorry to hear you're having a rough time with that pipe, Carver. But maybe you're right. Could be you just need some relaxing alone time with it.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Sorry to hear you're having a rough time with that pipe

Thanks for the sympathy.

I am happy that youse are doing well with it. I wish it were the same here, as I said earlier, it's a pity, I love this shape.
That being said I found something else. My pipe might be a fake. Pure and simple. Crap wood, crap draught holes. I didn't pay it that cheap though but who knows in China.

bigbee

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2012
Anthony glad to hear the 320 smokes like a champ
Carver sorry to hear you 320 does not sing yet. From my personal experience, I have bad experiences with Virginias and flakes in mine. Virginia's have a bit more bite imho due to the wide bowl and open draw. Due to the bowl size (KS) in my experience flakes result near the end in a wet smoking experience, increasing bite. English mixtures or slow smoking aro's (they exist) could be a better combo with your 320 (just my 2c). As you say also relaxing and slow smoking may improve your Sav 320 experience

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I've found it does it's best with big Englishes and Balkans. VA's as stated above get nippy quick with the easy draw.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Anthony, glad going "naked" is working out for you. Your previous thread inspired me to break out my 320 and a some tashkent. A glorious combo!
BTW: the 320 is an FVF smoking machine. Just need to make sure the tobacco is at the right humidity and your cadence is as low as possible.

Jan 8, 2013
Don't you just like the shape!!!
You know, in pictures, I really wasn't a great fan of the shape. Something about it just seemed off to me. But in person, it really is a beautiful shape. And a comfortable feel in the hand. I love it.
That being said I found something else. My pipe might be a fake. Pure and simple. Crap wood, crap draught holes. I didn't pay it that cheap though but who knows in China.
compare the stamping to other Savinellis. That might help. I hope it's real, and I hope you find a blend that really sings in it.
Anthony, glad going "naked" is working out for you.
Oh crap... did someone get me on camera? :mrgreen:

Jan 8, 2013
I almost posted another thread for the third smoke in the 320, but decided against it. I can't start a new thread every time I light this pipe up, right? Well, I wanted to try a different blend, other than Black Frigate in the 320 to see how it might smoke in comparison. This time I loaded up some Bagpiper's Dream, and I wasn't disappointed. Another great smoke. It was a slight bit bitey in the 320, but not terribly so, and not even bothersome to be honest. Now, did I enjoy the smoke as much as the first two with Black Frigate? Actually no. It was still a great smoke, but Black Frigate was awesome. Still there are a few more blends I tend to try out in this pipe. I have a feeling Balkan Blue will really sing in this pipe. There's so much going on in that blend. I will likely try that out, Wednesday if not tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.