Saturday Night At a The Movies... What Are a You Watching?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Baby Megan is sleeping, and so is my wife. I'm watching "Skyfall". Am I the only one who thinks that Ray Fiennes isn't "boss" enough to replace Judy Den h as M?
What's on your tube tonight?
-- Pat

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yes he's smoother than Ray, and probably they wanted a Gentleman and Ray didn't fit the bill. Elba had a series on BBC and I really enjoyed it, the Brits tell much better stories than us.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
the Brits tell much better stories than us
Amen. Like a friend of mine says, all Hollywood is about is taking your clothes off, the Brits still practice the craft.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Brad, was that BBC show with Elba called "Luther"? I loved that show.
Did you ever watch the British spy drama called "Spooks" (it was also called MI5)? That is an awesome show that's definitely worth watching.
-- Pat

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Waiting for my favorite (funny) horror movie show to come on. Coming up this week...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj25RdwmQoU

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Getting ready to watch Black Cat on Svengoolie. Stars Broderick Crawford, Basil Rathbone, Bela Lugosi and Alan Ladd. Supposed to be more comedy than horror. Sounds like a hoot.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Pat and Bradley:
I respectfully disagree, guys.
Ray would've made an excellent M. If you don't think he can do "smooth" go find "Sexy Beast" and give it a watch. (Anybody who can hold their own against a wonderful but still notoriously over the top actor like Ben Kingsley has chops.)
I think Ray Winstone's a terrific actor and his small performance as Mr. French in "The Departed" was very, very good. He didn't have enough time on-screen to rate a Best Supporting Actor nod but it was still first rate.
Fnord

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Today's movie watching consisted of several Laurel and Hardy silent shorts, followed by The Son Of The Sheik, starring Rudolph Valentino. Then we watched a number of short subjects from 1914. Had pizza. Resumed watching with Buster Keaton in The General, and finished up with The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari. All on the big screen with live musical accompaniment, in a gorgeous movie palace that was built in 1931. Top that.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Top that.
Can't do it. Well played.
@fnord - Well, Jim, I guess we'll see about Ray Fiennes. He's T'd up to be M in the next instalment. I am enjoying the Bond redux. I like Daniel Craig's Bond, a lot.
-- Pat

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Last night I watched the Clemson-FSU game.
Friday night though I watched "Conspiracy". It's a 2001 BBC film starring Colin Firth, Kenneth Brannagh, and Stanley Tucci about the Wannsee Conference in 1942. Well written and well acted. If you like WWII it's well worth the watch. It's on HBOGO right now.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
grilled brats and watched msu/lsu...there may also have been some adult beverages involved in this.
great game.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Movie night was "Good Will Hunting" with Robin Williams and Matt Damon, for which Williams won his Oscar. So

well acted all around, with a sound fast-paced script, and intelligent camera work. The actor who plays Damon's

girlfriend (sorry don't have her name) almost stole the show from the guys, tore your heart out when she's jilted.

Strong supporting actors.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Well played, indeed, Mr Sablebrush. What an excellent day.
Pat: Mr. Fiennes is a spectacular actor: his Amon Goeth in "Schindler's List" still terrifies me to this day and he'll make an excellent M. But, if you're ever in the mood for some really dark humor - and especially if you enjoy the work of the amazing Brendan Gleeson - whistle up "In Bruges" at your local video shop or Netflix.
Lord: I saw "Conspiracy" several years ago on HBO. "Well written and well acted." does not do it justice. I'd crawl through a mile of horseshit, broken glass and razor blades to listen to Kenneth Brannagh read out of a telephone directory.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.