PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
A little Saturday morning PAD and TAD for me. I was so impressed with just how well my Stanwell Golden Danish (45) smokes my fav blends I wanted another one, so my good 'ol PAD kicked in and had seen another Sandblasted Stanwell 45 on SP.com and I could not resist for $85. I also have been wanting to try some of C&D's Oriental Silk, so snagged 4 tins and a few more tins of Peterson's UF since I noticed my cellar was running low on it. All in all a good Saturday morning run for me :puffy:
stanwellsandblaster-45.jpg

Measurements & Other Details

Length: 5.92 in./150.37 mm.

Weight: 1.40 oz./39.69 g.

Bowl Height: 1.70 in./43.18 mm.

Chamber Depth: 1.46 in./37.08 mm.

Chamber Diameter: 0.85 in./21.59 mm.

Outside Diameter: 1.44 in./36.58 mm.

Stem Material: Acrylic

Filter: None

Shape: Pot

Finish: Sandblast

Material: Briar

Here is the Golden Danish (45), outstanding smoker

stanwell-golden-danish-45.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stanwell makes excellent pipes. They're well fitted and finished, and they are attractive and durable. I really appreciate the way they are priced for the public. They're fine in rotation with pipes higher and lower priced. Who else makes a Sixten Iversson design in a $49.99 pipe?

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Those are very nice looking pipes! My cellar only has about 25-30 tins, so I am trying build that up before I get more pipes. Part of being new to the game, I think tobacco might be a more precious than the pipes right now. I do own about 13 pipes though, so plenty to choose from.

Jul 12, 2011
I agree, stock the cellars first. I have been building my cellar since 2011 and it is almost completed - I buy tins just here and there now to try new blends but my go to blends are all stocked well.

Jan 8, 2013
Very nice! I only own two Stanwells, recently acquired Authentics because I seem to be on an unfinished pipe craze. Great smokers right out of the gate. Enjoy the heck out of it!

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
thesmokingdragon, wow when you say your cellar is almost complete, what does that entail? Enough tobacco for the rest of your life? I have to find a bigger cupboard to store my stuff if I start planning for that long haul!

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I recently purchased a Stanwell Authentic and it is a wonderful smoker. I don’t think you can go wrong with your purchase. Congrats. :clap:

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Saturday morning TAD?
McClelland Best of Show 1

McClelland Holiday Spirit 2017 2

McClelland Grey Havens 2

McClelland Mixture No. 1 Oriental 4

McClelland Mixture No. 6 Oriental 4

McClelland Tastemaster 2

McClelland Master Penman 3

McClelland Frog on the Bayou 3

McClelland frog morton on the town 1

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks for all the great comments, I'm looking forward to another great Stanwell smoker.
@d4k23, yes- enough of my favorite blends to last until the end of my days...now I only smoke between 2-3 medium sized bowls per day, so my supply is nowhere near as great as some of the others out there. It took me a few years to figure out what I really enjoy and my tastes have not changed over the last 10 years or so plus I'm happy to say that I really do enjoy a full spectrum of flavors and blends ( I think I currently have about 70 or 80 different blends kicking around the cellar at this time and still trying new blends for fun ). I have recently found that one of my all time greats is GLP's JackKnife Plug, I mean I love this stuff and it is in my daily rotation... so I started to stock up on this blend and with every order I try to get at least 1-2lbs of the stuff for ageing as it is yet another possible target for being discontinued in the upcoming years.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
My fear is by the time I find what my true favorite blends are, I will be running out of time to buy and stash them. But I guess whatever I don't know about, I can't miss?? I have to do more research on the FDA regulations to figure out exactly what will happen in the future (really hoping it fizzles to nothing). I am still on the notification list at SP to get my hands on some FVF, but based on reviews, won't know if I truly enjoy it for another year. Happy smoking until then!!

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I usually buy two tins of unknown tobacco, that’s unknown to me but with positive reviews.

I open one tin asap and the other is put away.

If I like it, I get more when the budget rolls around.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
That may have to be my new approach now too. So far everything I have has all positive reviews, but a lot of them need to age before full potential. I wanted to let the tobacco age in the tin, rather than slow it down by moving to a jar. Thanks gents!

Jul 12, 2011
Some of my blend suggestions to try out that you may like that I have seen available at this time;
Dunhill Flake, EMP and Nightcap

Solani 660 and 633

GLP's Jackknife RR and Plug

GLP's Key Largo

GLP's Pease: Temple Bar

GLP's Haddo's Delight

C&D's Night Train

C&D's Billy Budd Blonde

C&D's Dreams of Kadath

A & C Petersen: Escudo Navy Deluxe

Low Country: Waccamaw

Status