PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
In my fifty years of pipe smoking, I have discovered the satisfaction, pipe-performance and rewards of dedicating specific pipes to specific "favorite" blends.
Now, it is no secret that I have three of my own C&D Blends. So, I know what I like and I like what I smoke! That being said, my blends cover a very broad taste range. Therefore, I want to point out that I truly believe in the rewards to be experienced by dedicating pipes to specific blends.
I dedicate six pipes to each of the three blends that I smoke. I never "cross-over". The briar loves it. I love it and the blend loves it.
I smoke all three blends every day. I alternate blends and I alternate pipes. This is very important, because it does not tire your taste buds. If you try my method, you will reap the benfits. You may even discover that your favorites taste as good as the first time you tried them.
Try it... you'll like it!
Feel free to share your thoughts or questions on this subject, here...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
+1 Captainbob. While I too rotate blends and pipes during the course of a day, I don't dedicate pipes to specific blends.

Changing blends keeps me from getting bored with my favorites.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
When I am in the right place in my life where I can afford more pipes I plan on trying something like this. I assume you are talking about just briar?

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
photoman13,
Yes, I smoke exclusively briar. I never had much rewarding luck with anything else. But, that does not mean you won't have a different experience with "other than briar".

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have never had a cob. I have a couple of meerschaum pipes. The only one that smokes good is my contest storient. Let me tell you what it smokes amazing. Maybe you otta give one of his a try.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I tried dedicating each pipe to a different blend for a couple of weeks. I found that there were too many times when I wanted to smoke a certain pipe, but not the blend that went with it. I have always dedicated my pipes to certain categories, i.e va flakes, vaper flakes, and a few aro's. I think for myself,to be able to dedicate a pipe to a blend, I will need a minimum of 60 pipes.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Sometimes I want to reach for a specific pipe as well cigrmaster. I only have 10 I believe but I have 2 that I grab often. I wonder if I should stop doing that before I ruin them.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a latakia rotation and a non-latakia rotation. I have one pipe dedicated to a specific blend - a 3/4 drop Stanwell egg, that is dedicated to McCranie's Murdock's Pipe. I rarely smoke more than one bowl of any specific blend in the same day, and I never smoke back-to-back bowls, even with different pipes and blends.
I do think this sort of technique enhances the experience.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I tried dedicating each pipe to a different blend for a couple of weeks. I found that there were too many times when I wanted to smoke a certain pipe, but not the blend that went with it. I have always dedicated my pipes to certain categories, i.e va flakes, vaper flakes, and a few aro's. I think for myself,to be able to dedicate a pipe to a blend, I will need a minimum of 60 pipes.
+1
Interesting point you make Capt Bob, and one day I would like to be able to do this - for now, since my funds are limited, I would be forced only have 1 (maybe 2) pipes to choose from whenever I smoke an English or a particular Aro. Maybe some day!

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I am starting to this to some extent but of course unless you have a considerable collection and you enjoy specific tobacco this is just not doable.
I have 2 giant Nordings currently that are treated very special. I use one for fruity aros and one for nutty, coffee, aros.
I also have pipes dedicated to heavy flavor flakes and one of them dedicated to the lakeland spice found in many gawith baccy's.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
photoman, as long as you rest those 2 you should be ok. If you smoke a bowl then let it rest for a couple of days if you can, at least try and rest it one day. If you are smoking it day after day with no rest it will not perform right. They need to dry out. What size pipes do you smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.