Sasquatch Hits The Ball Out Of The Park!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Pun intended:

I asked Todd to make this for me a few months ago. I said I wanted a 1/4 bent ball, I wanted it big, I wanted a cumberland diamond stem, and I wanted a light color. I told him that I didn't care about blemishes in the briar- there's a tiny spot that he offered to hide with a darker stain, but I asked him to leave it.
This thing is HUGE. Exactly what I wanted. I'm a big guy, and have large-ish hands. This thing is like holding a billiard ball (billiard as in the game- pool). The US quarter is there for size reference.
This thing is amazing (to me). He delivered everything I asked for, and is very easy to work with via email.
I can't recommend Sasquatch enough.

Jan 8, 2013
I can tell just by looking at it, that I would absolutely love that pipe myself. I like a pipe you can fill your hand with. I feel the same about minor sandpits. Often, a minor pit or two simply adds character and doesn't take away from the beauty of the briar at all. That is one fantastic looking pipe. I may have to see if I can get something similar. Yours is lovely! Enjoy the heck out of it! :clap:

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Squatch cuts a mean pipe, for sure.
May it bring you many delightful smokes!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Absolute hell to carve a sphere, lemme tell ya. Glad it finally got there though, between going above the arctic circle, and postal strike on this end, it's been about a month in the mail.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Absolute hell to carve a sphere, lemme tell ya.
Mike Butera once made a pipe that had a perfect, long cylinder for its shank, that ran through a perfect sphere bowl at just the right spot. Simplest pipe in the history of the world, shape-wise.
Why did he make it? To see if he could. When asked if he'd do it again, he said, "Never!"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice massive briar, but also nicely designed and shaped. Looks like a fine smoker.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
First bowl through. Used Ten Russians because it's the coolest burning blend I have.
Smokes beautifully. Perfectly dry, with a nice open draw. One thing interesting, is that with a tapered pipe cleaner, the last half inch at the button is the tightest part of the draw. From what I understand, this is a good thing. With the 20 or so briars I have, this is the only one that is like that.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Absolute hell to carve a sphere, lemme tell ya. Glad it finally got there though, between going above the arctic circle, and postal strike on this end, it's been about a month in the mail.
Curious, is there such a thing as a "reverse" chuck... Something that holds the briar from the already drilled bowl- inside?
I wonder if something like that would allow to get deeper down the stummel with the lathe. Obviously you could only get down as far as the shank.
I tried a pipe kit, attempting a ball. It was a disaster. I remember thinking that I wish I could get deeper down the stummel with the drill press I was using as a make-shift lathe.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
You can chuck a pipe from the inside of the bowl, yes, and lots of commercial pipes you'll see these marks inside the chamber. That precludes doing anything "off angle" with the bowl shape vs the chamber though, so it is pretty limiting.
Also I need something to whine about, no?
And yes, the stem is at it's tighest as you transition from the airway via a tapered bit, toward the slot, which is widening out to the end of the bit. There's lots of discussion about just how much restriction you want there - you could in theory have none, but a largish aiway and a bit of restriction seems to work like hell, so I keep doing it. Certain people in the community (Greg Pease being one if I remember right) are of the belief that a pipe can be "too open" and that while it will smoke like a stir-fry, you may not get maximum flavor from that setup.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
And yes, the stem is at it's tighest as you transition from the airway via a tapered bit, toward the slot, which is widening out to the end of the bit. There's lots of discussion about just how much restriction you want there - you could in theory have none, but a largish aiway and a bit of restriction seems to work like hell, so I keep doing it. Certain people in the community (Greg Pease being one if I remember right) are of the belief that a pipe can be "too open" and that while it will smoke like a stir-fry, you may not get maximum flavor from that setup.
Well Sir:
It smokes drier than any pipe I've ever smoked (admittedly I've only had one bowl with it). So I guess you're doing it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.