PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, here's a little something for you to chew on. I sitting here tonight smoking some Erinmore Flake in my Sasieni Superb Six, six dot pipe. WTF, your say! How can that be? Ok, only it gets worse, as my wife has a Sasieni Perfect Ten, ten dot pipe! I don't know what these actually are, as we bought them in the 1980s at Tinderbox. My six dot is a Dublin style with a light color lucite stem with 3 blue dots on each side. Stamped "Superb Six London Made by Sasieni". My wife's pipe is a prince shape,with straight grain, no less, and is stamped, "Perfect Ten London Made by Sasieni". It has the same finish, and lucite stem with 5 blue dots on each side. I'm sure it's some kind of deal Tinderbox put together with whoever was importing Sasieni pipes at the time. but it is kind of fun and funky at the same time. They do smoke good, except I'm not a big fan of lucite stems. My wife has been smoking hers again after about 25 years, and loves it, and I guess that's all I need to know.

Anybody else own one of these, or have any ideas about them?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Stephen P. Smith's Connecting the Dots on Pipedia covers a lot of ground. Here's what he has to say about the ten dot Sasieni:
"This spirit of cooperation between the old and new owners does not appear to have lasted long. Alfred Sasieni believed only vulcanite should be used for pipe stems, eschewing the newer, trendier Lucite. When the new owners, contrary to Alfred’s wishes, issued a new Ten Dot, replete with Lucite stem, it seems Alfred decided he had had enough, and left the firm for good".
Also check out: http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-sasieni.html

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Agnostic:
I'd like to see them.
Can you post pictures?
I love my Sasieni Fantail and Old England second but would love to obtain one of the higher end dotted burners some day.
Fnord

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I only have two Sasieni pipes. Both great smokers. Both are early two dot models. Red/blue dots on vulcanite stems. Good feel in the hand. Great fit and finish that really extends to the improve the smoking experience. Like the way a good early Gasparini or Cellini does. They are two dot so a lil different in the pecking order. And I'm rambling. Never did bring myself really up to speed with the dot patterns and nomenclature on them. Fun pipes and kinda cool the way if dunhill has one dot THEY have two! So they MUST be better! Hahaha.
On a different note. I do think both did good to have eachother as competitors. The competition brought out the best in both companies early years. Sorry if I cluttered your thread with my ramblings. Thanks for posting. A great and often overlooked maker these days.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Ok guys and gals, here's the pictures of the two Sasieni pipes. I don't think the grain is too special on the six dot, and the grain on the ten dot is not as straight as I remembered, but still looks rather nice. They are both good smokers though.
img_0174-600x449.jpg
img_0175-600x450.jpg
img_0176-600x449.jpg
img_0178-600x449.jpg
img_0179-600x450.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Looks like a couple of rare and unusual survivors, my friend. If I knew in the 80's what I do now, I would have purchased a few myself.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Those don't show up very often at any of the pipe shows, so IMO they have to be a pretty collectible pipe as well as good smokers. Thanks for sharing your photos.

I presently have an Unsmoked Sasieni 5 dot Sandblasted pipe that will be going on the sale block soon. You may see it here on the forum for sale.

Here is a photo of my 5 dot pipe.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Ok doc, you got me with the 5 dot. I've never heard of a 5 dot before. But then, I've been away from pipe smoking for about 20 years. I take it it's a newer pipe than the 4 dot pipes. Wow, great looking pipe though!

Thanks for all the other comments about these pipes. I don't really collect pipes, but do enjoy smoking all kinds of pipes, and I'll try to be careful with these two. as they seem to be rather uncommon.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
The 5 Dot Sasieni pipes came out in the late 1990's if I am not mistaken. They are all large nicely grained sandblasts, I've never seen a smooth one but they may be out there.

Most collectors/smokers try to collect the Four Dot and earlier pipes, i.e. Two Dots, Eight Dots, etc. The 4 Dot pipes, (different nomenclature with the number 4), are not as sought after because they are the more recent series of Sasieni, but that doesn't mean that they are not good smokes.

I don't know the production number of your pipes but if I were a Sasieni collector, I'd be shopping around for them.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Lovely burners, Agnostic,
The Tinder Box had these amazing special arrangements with GBD, Sasieni and Charatan for many years. You've come a cropper with your Sasieni pipes, TB damned near had an exclusive on GBD pipes to the Midwest in the 60's and 70's and every pipe branded Tinder Box Unique pipe was made by Charatan. ( I have several of the latter and they're excellent smokers. )
Good on you for being st the right place at the right time.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.