PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
A while back I posted that I has bought a rusticated bent Sasieni from a local B&M.

I got it for a great price, but in my inexperience I never really went over the way it was drilled.

I smoked it a few times and realized that the bowl was drilled too deep. I was getting a lot of gurgle and a lot of unburned tobacco at the bottom of the bowl.

I posted and was recommended that I try building up the bottom of the bowl with some cigar ash, or fireplace mortar.

Old Cajun mentioned the gurgle was probably from a tenon that was drilled too small and recommended that I should try and bore it out slightly.

I was kindly offered some help, but I decided that in my quest to really be able to refurbish and repair pipes I should try this project myself.

I bored the tenon slightly and noticed that the draw was much better and the gurgle was very much less... Score one for the new guy.

I went and bought a nice Nat Sherman cigar, my first in over a year. I enjoyed it, but realize how much more I prefer the pipe. The cigar is a one note song to me... I digress.

I saved my ash and made my mortar and built up the bowl.

I can see the merits of doing this. After the ash/mortar dried I was finding less waste on the bottom of the bowl. I was also finding that all of my smokes tasted distinctly of cigar.

I am not sure if I had the mix wrong. I left the mix to dry in the bowl for over a week, but I couldn't shake that taste.

I eventually just dug the mortar out and did a good cleaning of the pipe.

Perhaps I should have taken the good advice of the Old Cajun and used some fireplace mortar instead.

In the mean time the pipe has a nice open draw and doesn't gurgle at all. I have been enjoying it and dealing with the tobacco lost. I am just considering it the angel's cut.

Jim

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Twang glad the tendon fix helped you out, down the road buy yourself a cartridge of Fireplace Firestove Mortar repair, down the road it's handy, bought an old Willmer and after reaming had a lot of deep spyder cracks on one side, I retorted it to clean the pipes and cracks, dried it out and with my 3 in one spoon tool took some mortar repair and filled cracks, let it dry and fired it up, smoked like a Willmer should, Good. The old cajun

Aug 1, 2012
Glad you got it somewhat fixed. If it were me I'd go with the mortar since it's non-toxic and neutral/no flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.