PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I just got done watching this auction. Wow did it go crazy. I bid at $150 and it kept going so I bowed out. Is this pipe worth that price. I ask because I'd like to add a nice Sasieni to the collection. Good deal for pipestud. He made out like a bandit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390805690125&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:3160&autorefresh=true

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That is a VERY GOOD price for that pipe. The post-war patent pipes are a sub category in the Sasieni world, made roughly from right after the war until 1950. A very nice crosscut. For that kind of price I would rather see the older diamond pattern of the dots. Would I pay that much for the pipe? No. Would I sell one for that price? Yes! Keep your eyes out, the family era Four Dots, post 1950, more usually sell for $150-$200, and every now and then can be found for less. You will find one.
Dave

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's a lot of do-re-mi for a Hurlingham, which is not a rare shape. But look at the birdseye on that pipe! I suspect that the fineness of the grain played a role in this particular episode of Bid Like A Fool. A more normal price would have been around $200.
And a number of numb-between-the-ears have been bidding up Barlings, which is fine with me, should I ever decide to unload some of mine. I'm still impressed with the $1500+ that some nitwit paid for an ordinary Barling Special billiard from the '50's. Obviously the nitwit has more money than he knows with what to do.
There are plenty of 4 Dots out there at more reasonable prices. EBay isn't where you go to get bargains. It's where you go to find things that are otherwise difficult to find. Occasionally you do find a bargain, but that's the exception, rather than the rule.
And as long as the "winner" is happy with his/her purchase, then no harm, no foul. I paid a very high price for the Talbert morta that I bought. But, I wanted a Talbert morta and a Talbert goblin, and I got both in one and am satisfied, though the purchase isn't any kind of a bargain. I just didn't pay 2-5 time retail. That level of stupid I just won't do.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I'm glad for the info fellas. I didn't think that those pipes should be going for that high. Just my gut telling me because I don't know a great deal about them.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
That's what I was thinking too Harris. He made out yesterday like a bandit.This one too just prior to that one. This one had some history attached to it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151261373990&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:3160

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Someone got a good deal here, I think. The only thing that bothers me is one the one photo showing the stem dots, they aren't as blue as I'd like to see, but it may just be the photography.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAMILY-ERA-SASIENI-FOUR-DOT-LOMBARD-PIPE-IN-EXTREMELY-NICE-CONDITION-/111311284810?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
$_57.JPG

And from the sale seller (dots do look more blue here).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAMILY-ERA-SASIENI-FOUR-DOT-RUFF-ROOT-HURLINGHAM-PIPE-/121305325026?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
$_57.JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Dave knows I like the Author (Ashford) Sasieni shape and kindly pointed me at this Old England author that was offered by Tim West and ended this evening. I learned Old England is a high grade Sasieni second line. This pipe was in great shape. He said be prepared to spend over $100 on this one. The pipe was sniped at $215 in the final seconds, amazing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121303579315?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true
$_12.JPG

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Al, the Lombard and the Hurlingham show these pipes can still be found at reasonable prices and bide your time. I found a really nice Rustic Stamford on Jan 1 for less than $100, of course bidders may have been out of action from the previous nights celebrations!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sadly I'm drawn to the bulldog/Rhodesian line, Danzey, Ashford, Brooklands.....but I'm unprepared for battle in those bidding wars!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Speaking of which - is there a Sasieni shape chart out there anywhere? It just dawned on me that is one missing from my saved documents. I struck out on Google.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Granted, they are not "collectible" in the same way that original 4-dots are, but I've actually been impressed by the recent crop of Sasieni Four Dots. If someone is simply wanting to add a good-smoking Sasieni to their collection, I think they're very well made pipes. The one I picked up about 8 years ago has nice grain, no fills, and is a wonderful smoke.
If what you want is a collectible Sasieni -- or a pipe produced by the original company -- then these pipes aren't what you want. But if you're just looking for a really good pipe with the Sasieni name on it, I'd highly recommend checking out more recent Four Dots. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. These are much better-made pipes than similarly priced recent GBDs, Charatans, etc.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.