PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
So, I have been on a Sasieni kick lately. I just love these old pipes. Yesterday, I bought two Joel Sasieni Era (I think) patent pipes, a One Dot (Shape 51?) and a Four Dot Haslemere. Both have patent numbers and the "Fish" stamping. I have no idea how old these pipes are, or even if they are the real deal. Sable? dmcmtk? Someone? Anyone? What do I have here?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Oops! Sorry 'bout that! Here they are! :oops:

One Dot:

CVamPle.jpg

dr8BEvC.jpg

cTDUJUe.jpg

Four Dot:

HVlCO9R.jpg

vpavwJ0.jpg

Not sure which pipe:

snYDmL3.jpg

Both:

U2Uljok.jpg

v2l71pH.jpg

4rHfpxo.jpg

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
If I'm correct, I believe the One Dot is 1920's and the Haslemere is also pre-WWII? I don't have them in hand yet, but I'm thinking (hoping) they're all original. Unfortunately, I'm not as informed about these as others are, so I'm appealing to the wisdom of the sages!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Thanks, Hunter. I have read it, which is why I think I have the dating right, but I'd like someone with more knowledge to take a look. I am especially interested in if the pipes appear to be original. My eye is not as keen as some others! :oops:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very cool pipes! Wow!

So, the one dot places the pipe at 1924 or earlier, IIRC. Markings are consistent with that timeframe. No town name, just the model number, 51, and the US patent number, which begins with a 15 and ends in 20. I'm assuming that the initials, LJ, stamped in the side of the one dot are the owner's initials.
There are no pictures of the rims or chambers. I'm wondering if the pipe with the "M" stamp is meerschaum lined? Depending on whom you ask, town names began about 1928, or 1935. The Four Dot has the other common patent, which begins with a 15 ends in 28.
Stems look great! and look like the real deal as far as I can tell.
The model numbers might be helpful in narrowing down the timeframe as the numbers and the shapes they represented changed between the 1930's and the 1950's. In any event, they look amazing so are. The one dot is 1919-1924. The four dot may be anywhere from 1928 to 1946.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Sable has it. It would be interesting to see the tenon ends of the stems with them removed. Both these pipes would have originally had stingers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very interesting. I've never held a One Dot.

Is that COM mark stamped around the shank unusual? I've never seen it before.

I also haven't seen a Haselmere either.
Note: moved to the British section.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I'm wondering if the pipe with the "M" stamp is meerschaum lined?

Interesting. They should hopefully be here tomorrow. I'll let you know.
It would be interesting to see the tenon ends of the stems with them removed. Both these pipes would have originally had stingers.

My eyes aren't good enough to tell. I am hoping the stingers are intact. I failed to ask, unfortunately.
Is that COM mark stamped around the shank unusual?

Unusual, yes. Unique, no. SP.com had one a while back (you can still find the link).
I really appreciate all the input! I think I got a steal here! I almost didn't buy them because I has just purchased two Alfred Era Sasieni Four Dot Naturals (a Cromer and an Eton) a few days before. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on these! I'm starting to feel like a pipe collector! Ha,ha!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
And... YES! They have their stingers, although the one on the Four Dot Haslemere is broken. The one on the One Dot is whole and complete!

The "M" mark is on the Four Dot and, no, it's not meerschaum lined. Not sure WHAT the "M" is for.

p11PTNJ.jpg

TK8W0Y1.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great pipes, and some great shapes, the Haselmere, shape13, is one of my favorites. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.