Sasieni Ashford - #1 Holy Grail Pipe Found!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, my #1 Holy Grail pipe is enroute to my mailbox. I finally found a Sasieni Ashford (Ruff Root) that was reasonably priced. Like the GBD 9242 (#2 on my list), I never thought this shape would show up at a price I could afford. This one was priced as a BIN too low to pass up.
I bought three other pipes in June and really didn't need to make another purchase but I couldn't pass this one up. I saw the pipe listed yesterday morning and an hour later at work, was surprised to see it still available, so I hit the "buy" button. And hence the reason I have some pipes listed in the Buy/Sell/Trade section...
Better pictures to follow, but this one looks very promising.

Dec 24, 2012
Great going Al. I bought an Ashford estate recently. It sounds like you got a better deal than I did though, lol. Congrats.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys! Peck, your Ashford, if I remember correctly was a Patent number, Fishttail logo. smooth finish, older pipe and well worth your investment.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pretty pipe. What made it your Grail pipe?
Two years ago, when I started focusing on collecting Rhodesians/Authors and Bulldogs, I created a list of makes/shape numbers that I wanted to add. There were ten pipes on that list. My two Comoys Extraordinaires held the top two spots with the Ashford in 3rd spot. Some pipes had a particular finish spec'd but I knew that I couldn't be too picky with the Ashford (the blasted Ruff Root is fine with me) When I acquired the Comoys, the Ashford moved into the #1 position (GBD 9428 in #2 slot). The prerequisites were:

- Author or Rhodesian

- Tapered Stem.

The Ashford was also made with a saddle stem. I would't turn up my nose at one of those, priced right but foremost, I'm an aficionado of the tapered stem.
Other than the incredibly rare GBD 9242, the remaining shapes are a little more attainable:

1. GBD 9242

2. Comoys 283 Bullcap

3. Comoys 256 Author

4. Castello Shape 54

5. Dunhill 1961 (birth year) Bulldog/Rhodesian/Author (that one won't be cheap)

6. Savinelli Guibeleo D'Oro 320 KS

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Beautiful pipe Al...thats a great list...btw I will have a couple Morta Authors and Bulldogs in September...I will send you pictures when they come in...

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Congratulations Al, lovely pipe and great to take one off the top of the list.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well the Ashford was delivered and it caused me a bit of concern. The jury is still out on whether or not the stem is original. I mulled over returning it. Thanks to some of the folks here who gave me feedback (Peck, Neverbend, dmctk (Dave). Jesse picked a heck of a time to go on hiatus, he's my Sasieni man! Neill Archer Roan gave me some good advice - was I going to resell it or keep it? The briar was great and if I liked it, why return it? He's right, I've looked to long for this shape and another in my budget isn't likely to come along anytime soon.
The pipe took a bit of clean-up ("sanitized and ready for use" - not!). The blast is outstanding and if it a replacement stem, it is well done. It is vulcanite and Steve Laug reminded me Sasieni could have made the replacement. The proof will be in the smoking, which I hope to enjoy on Sunday (letting the alcohol soak dry completely).
It is a pretty little thing, I haven't weighed it yet, but doubt it is more than 35 grams.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Love the blast! Great looking shape as well. What makes you think the stem is not original?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What makes you think the stem is not original?
The dots are typically a robins egg blue. This photo doesn't show it well, but these are that blue (my Viscount Lascelles XS)
sasieni_four_dot_xs_finished-1.jpg

I've been told they can fade over time. The size of the dots and spacing is correct, so who knows.

May 31, 2012
Great pipe Al!
It most certainly found the proper home, I love seeing your collection of this shape.
I've yet to get a Four Dot proper but hopefully I'll have an oppo at some point to try one out,

I especially want a Ruff Root --- the blast on your pipe is one of the better examples I've seen on a Ruff Root.
35g would make it ultra-comfortable!
Well done!
I bet it's a great feeling to find such a Grail finally!
Congrats.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.