PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Picked up this little nose warmer at the flea market for $10. Its a Pickwick Arms Sasieni second. Does anyone know when these were made? I didn't know it was a Sasieni sub until I got it home and looked it up.
WTxvgqE.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
That's a great looking burner, DPV, and it's going to bring you years of smoking pleasure. You also stole it for a ten dollar bill.
Sasieni subs do damned well on the aftermarket and you can easily triple and better your purchase price after a good scrubbing.
I can't help you with the dating though, but I'm sure some of the aficionados here will weigh in. Years ago I remember reading that Sasieni would release a sub-brand for several years then park the name on a shelf for several decades and, more importantly, they were very poor at documenting those changes.
Cheers on a great buy.
Fnord

May 31, 2012
More than likely,

it's a Custom-Bilt,

I think?
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/united-states/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=70729

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks for the link and info. That looks just like it. Whatever it is, it's a fantastic smoker. I've put three bowls through it so far. I'm going to name it Fat Bastard. It's so thick it never gets hot.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I feel like I'm being a dick, sorry. It looks kinda like a Custombilt clone. It isn't one of the "known" Custombilt

seconds from Bill Unger's book. Tom Howards were a clone but not actually made by Custombilt either.
That reminds me I need to send something to tuold.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It looks kinda like a Custombilt clone....Tom Howards were a clone but not actually made by Custombilt either.
+1 I've never heard of the name, either, but it definitely looks like one of the many Custombilt clones from the 50s or 60s.
As usual, fantastic refurb.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
snagstangl wrote:
That reminds me I need to send something to tuold.
:D
While I was waiting I bought this no name big club of a pipe. I've been carrying it around between my teeth all afternoon enjoying the clean briar/alcohol taste! I'm pretty sure this pipe was made at the same east coast factory where all the Custombilt knockoffs were manufactured.
chunkyestate_zps753b5510.jpg

Oh, here's my one Tom Howard. Another nice burner, for sure. It's the only TH I've seen with a blue dot on the stem.
tomhoward_zpsb0212180.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.