PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Honestly, I thought Sara Eltang was a female carver with a well known name.
I ordered this Lovat today, because I liked the stack bowl and the horn appealed to me more than a brass offering that was similar in design.
I'm not expecting the "Eltang" quality, whatever that is, because I understand these pipes are made a little quicker, lending to a reduced price from the $500-$1k+ range. Hopefully it smokes well. The tall bowl had me thinking of flakes, but I expect I'll give just about everything except an aromatic a try to see how it goes.
Anyone here buy a "Sara Eltang" pipe and have something to say about it? I'm especially curious to know how it compares to a "Tom Eltang"
002-332-0272.jpg

002-332-0272_1.jpg

002-332-0272_2.jpg

002-332-0272_3.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
From Smokingpipes.com
Sara Eltang pipes are all designed, turned, finished, and inspected by Tom in his workshop near Copenhagen, Denmark. In Tom's own words, 'I wanted to create pipes with a quality of construction comparable to expensive high grade pipes, but at a reasonable price.'
I imagine they're probably pretty darn nice. I've been looking at them for some time myself.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've sold a bunch of Sara Eltang pipes over the years and they all sure look extremely well constructed. I've never smoked one, so, can't speak to that but history with this brand dictates that Tom didn't allow any dogs out of his kennel.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
have something to say about it?

You will love your Sarah Eltang! They are wonderful quality and basically the same briar from the same studio as all the other Tom Eltang products. They just employ pre formed stems and a few other time and cost cutting steps. But they are hand finished in house and they smoke great. I’ve seen them made in person and it’s very cool.
Here are some photos of the process. You did good. Enjoy the pipe!

5B38Po0.jpg

PsBRIl6.jpg

x19Ozg3.jpg

4CAgsif.jpg

zT9Qwsh.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Anthony- There are a few on sale right now at smokingpipes. The discount was attractive enough for me to give it a try. The companion to mine, which is a sort of flame grain with a brass accent is also included in that sale. If the lovat shape speaks to you, it seems like a good deal. But that's based only on reputation. I have no experience with the brand.
Pipestud- That's what I'm hoping for. I couldn't bring myself to lay out the cash for a "Tom Eltang" but I was hoping that he wouldn't put his name on anything that wasn't good.
I'm about to finish up a few months stay in Brazil. The weather is finally warm, the beaches have been nice, and I've been gorging myself on pounds of fresh fruit every day. Facing down a return to the Pacific Northwest winter, with all the sodden cold that brings, I wanted a couple of pipes waiting at my door to cheer me up so I could use them while I sit beside the fire.
I shudder at the thought, but now, I'm 1/4 of the way excited to get back. Maybe 1/5, but I'm usually an optimist.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Wow, very cool npod. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I'd like to make it to a shop like that one day.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That pipe is one of my favorite shapes (ever). Great purchase. Here is mine below, This is made by Mike Bay (Bay Denmark) with ebonite stem but otherwise the same as yours from the same studio. I love it.
mYAoD4G.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Mike Bay in the middle and Johannes Rasmussen In The back by the window.

Dec 28, 2015
I have one Tom Eltang and 3 Sara Eltangs. And seriously I think the Sara Eltangs are better smokers. And they are beautiful pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.