PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Went to get a watch band and a watch battery at the mall and noticed that the Christmas

decorations are up and Santa and his photographer are enthroned with the kids and parents

lined up to see them. The complaint about early and oppressive holiday retail is a holiday

tradition in itself. I did have this additional thought. Children have an elongated sense of

time. To kids, two months are like six months or more. Time passes very slowly and then speeds

up more and more as we age until Christmases and other holidays seem about a week apart.

For a nine year old, having Christmas last a month and a half or more, in celebration and

anticipation, seems pretty stressful. I wonder if it saps the fun, in addition to making the lists

of merchandise too central. This complaint is an old, old hobby horse, and the holiday sales

are a hinge pin of the economy. Maybe we should just have a permanent Christmas (and other

holiday) season that just goes on an on. Just kidding. But that is somewhat happening. The

Peterson Christmas pipes were out well before Halloween!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
The holidays are beyond stressful for most. Forced family fun, forced spending to be in the spirit, forced music everywhere, etc. I'm not trying to be a Scrooge, but damn is it annoyingg seeing Christmas decorations in stores the same time that Halloween decorations are just beginning to get their own full section. Can we accomplish one holiday at a time?
I love Christmas too, but I like my holidays in succession, not overlapping. I was asked if the Christmas tree could go up before Thanksgiving this year. "Hell no! I'm not dragging all the shit out of the basement so that cats can mess with it for an even longer period of time." They can wait.
I'm a huge Halloween guy (that is my holiday of choice), but I don't erect a single skeleton, gravestone or pumpkin until October 1st. Christmas season starts after Thanksgiving (in my book) but retail books us Christmas a bit earlier. BTW, Black Friday is the anti-Christ and it is only getting longer.
Having worked a few years in retail, that day is the single worst day to be an employee. I also refuse to go anywhere near a retail store or shopping center on that day if I can help it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm not trying to be a Scrooge, but damn is it annoyingg seeing Christmas decorations in stores the same time that Halloween decorations are just beginning to get their own full section. Can we accomplish one holiday at a time?
Halloween is now actually the day after Thanksgiving...that's when the very real and truly scary Zombies come out.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Xmas time is good because I get to watch Chevy Chase and Xmas Vacation again. I don't think I've missed one in twenty years. It always makes me laugh.
TjY58gl.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The funniest holiday movie award must go to Thanksgiving, imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd5dYQHoZS0

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
@brian64 +1
My wife keeps saying. "How can you laugh so hard at those stupid moves, over and over, every year?" I tell her every year.
"It's because I have a sense of humor."

Status
Not open for further replies.