PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
This year I decided to let my beard, mostly white, grow full Santa. The wife and daughter insisted yesterday that I buy a Santa hat. Today, I wore it at a thrift store. Two small girls were staring at me, whispering "Santa!" Their dad looked at them, then at me, and pointed out what I was buying. I had an estate pipe in my hand! They were largely convinced at that point.
For those who care, it was a Chacom Delux estate. A pot with a straight stem. I got it for $10. I would provide a picture, but my phone hates me today.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
BTW, this was the hardest I have laughed today. Thank you Sant.....er... winton!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Great Christmas story which will be a retold tale for many years for those two little girls.
Years ago one of my colleague's 2 year old son thought that I was Santa. Great leverage for several years when she reminded her son the she works with Santa.
+1 for pictures of the beard (or it didn't happen).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Great Christmas story which will be a retold tale for many years for those two little girls.
I agree. Those girls will be telling their grandchildren about seeing Santa.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am doubly jealous. You can grow a santa quality beard (mine is a bit scruffy no matter what) and you have pipes in your thrift stores. I have yet to see one out here in WA. Congrats on both measures!
:D

Jan 8, 2013
Let's see that beard! I've got some white here and there, but I actually look forward to my beard eventually being all white.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I plan on spending a year as Santa when I'm old, fat, white-haired and retired. Looking forward to a closet full of red clothes and lots of hot chocolate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Visiting some of my wife's surrogate grandkids (the usual complicated family) as a relative newcomer, I was roped into filling out a Santa questionnaire one of the girls had put together asking some pointed questions about St. Nick. She was getting toward serious doubts, belatedly. I did my best to embroider and invent in a creditable way. I guess the answers passed muster. Now I get teased about my forgery by her parents and my wife from time to time.
Friends have a son who, trailing behind his parents with his sister as they walked in New York City, when the sister admitted that she no longer believed in Santa Clause. The boy said, "I know. Neither do I. But don't tell them. The really believe in him."

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
mso489

That's another great story.
My oldest son at age 6 or 7 concocted a test for Santa by asking for a real F-14 Tomcat Fighter Jet. He seriously expected to see it parked in our driveway on Christmas morning, but instead he received a metal toy F-14 parked on the driveway. Apparently Santa had out-foxed him.
Both of my son's also pretended to believe in Santa for years; they did not want to end a good thing too soon.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Both of my son's also pretended to believe in Santa for years; they did not want to end a good thing too soon.
What are you trying to say... Santa isn't real?!?! 8O

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I let my white beard grow from August until I trim it on New Years Eve. Starting on the 15th I wear red shirts everyday when I leave the house. That combined with a red & green Fedora gets a lot of looks when shopping. I have walked past kids throwing a fit in the store and all a sudden the get quiet and start telling their mommy they will be good. I've also gotten hit on by women wanting a photo sitting on my lap.
I'll post a photo later.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ pappymac, "I have walked past kids throwing a fit in the store and all a sudden the get quiet and start telling their mommy they will be good".....
My daughter is in the 2nd grade and at the beginning of the year came home one day asking if she had been good. I said yes wondering where that came from and then realized the kids had been talking and were already thinking Christmas lol. We have a "Elf on the shelf" and its amazing how much easier kids are to deal with when they are worried abotu being on the naughty list.
I am 45 and will for sure grow the beard out once it turns ALL white. Will be funny to watch kids reactions.......

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Some great stories in here! I love reading stuff like this. Thanks so much for sharing....oh, and nice score on the pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.