PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Hi Guys, and thanks in advance. It's great there is some sort of forum that I can ask the many pipe related questions that I have. I have three pipes that I bought, mainly because the finishes looked nice. It turns out the fancy finishes have a habit of bubbling and coming off in parts. As I have been enjoying these pipes, I've decided to maybe sand them back and re-stain them in similar colours to the original. I've read about sanding at 400 grit and using fiebings dye (which comes in a number of colours). Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and will aforementioned dye prevent briar from breathing or have any other negative effects on the overall smoking experience. Do I need to sand back to bare briar, or can I just sand enough so that they dye sticks as it were. Any help appreciated.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
...I bought, mainly because the finishes looked nice.
It's a valid reason for being attracted to a pipe, but probably shouldn't be the main criterion for purchase.

...the fancy finishes have a habit of bubbling and coming off in parts.
They must have a lacquer coating, and there is an ongoing debate about how that affects the pipe's ability to breathe -- and, in fact, whether pipes do in fact breathe at all. But the main point is that the pipes are being smoked too hot -- an all around bad practice.

I've decided to maybe sand them back and re-stain them...
I've sanded my only two lacquer-finished pipes with surprisingly good results, and re-finished them with only carnauba wax. They colored to a beautiful natural brown without staining. Sanding was much easier than I thought, but I have no experience with stains.
re: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-breathability-of-briar-wood-what-do-you-think#post-479002

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
I agree re: smoking pipes too hot, bad practice. However, just for clarity and as an example, one pipe that I have has a blue stain and it seems that the shellac coating was the culprit during break in (Break in being the tricky part with these type of pipes as there is no cake to guard against heat) . I have sanded one of my brown stained pipes with 180 grit sandpaper just as an experiment, which has gotten rid of the shellac or whatever the gloss coating that bubbled was - I'm now wondering if I can just re-stain it with a fiebings dye of the same/similar colour or do I have to sand it with 400 grit paper all the way back to bare wood. I'd imagine (being no expert in anything) that if the shellac is removed and I'm not changing the colour of the stain that the new dye would take to surface of the pipe anyway and make it look half ways decent. Other more run of the mill pipes have survived over heating due my carelessness and with no ill effect on the finish. It's just some of these damn pipes seem to have an additional coating (shellac?) that causes the bubbling. I don't need the damn things shiny, just to look half decent with no bubbling and to smoke well! Thanks for the input.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have six or eight gloss finished pipes with no bubbling problems, so done properly, the gloss finish shouldn't be an issue. The briar may not have been properly treated and aged, or more probably the finish was mis-applied. Can you mention the brands of pipes involved? That might inform the problem. I hope sanding them down will solve this. I'd try them with the finish removed; that might be the best way to smoke them. Like unfinished pipes, they would darken and "finish" themselves, I think.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
One was a Peterson Atlantic with a blue stain and the other two are Parker pipes. Well those are run of the mill ones I own and have issues with. I have a butz choquin that has an intricate pattern covering but I expected the odd bubble on that as it's more an attractive piece than one to be chain smoked. I'm going to try sanding and caranuba wax on one and skip the stain to see how that goes. An interesting hobby all this smoking

fusion

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2019
400 grit is a bit drastic and will leave sanding marks, why dont you try with the acetone first and if thats not enough use a finer grit to sand, 1000 or even finer

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Quick additional question. Apparently fiebings dye is highly flammable. I hope not when it dries into pipe?

fusion

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2019
Acetone removes nail varnish very quickly so it will take off shellac, with a bit of elbow grease 1000 grit will work well.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
https://rebornpipes.com/ is a great resource.

Be careful with sand paper, especially around the markings or you’ll erase them. Really fine steel wool with isopropyl & baking soda will work well. It might take a few rounds to strip it to the point you want. Fiebings leather dies work great, they turn out darker than the color selections would suggest. A light brown will be a fairly typical darker reddish tone. I would avoid any clear lacquers or finishes, wax it after the stain dries a day with Carnauba - even a good quality car wax like ‘Mother’s’ will give you good results. You need some power to buff it to a nice gloss and it will take 2 or 3 times to really shine. If you don’t have a real (bench mounted) grinding wheel you can take a hand drill under one leg so the bit sticks up between your knees, press down the trigger with one leg and use a 4” or so buffing wheel and you’ll get results that’s probably almost as good.
That’s super rough DIY that some might argue with - but you’ll be amazed.
You’ll also need a set of gradated micro sanding pads for stems. Black cyanoacrylate for filling tooth marks, obsidian oil and patience (more than stummels take) for stems.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I’m usually too lazy to it right and micropad by hand to the finest and then wax. But if I get out my ya ya’s it’s Tripoli, then white diamond and then wax and a clean buff

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
God forgive me for the questions. I've ordered caranuba wax flakes. I assume I'll have to heat them up so I can wax the pipe with the melted wax. Anyone know what to use as an applicator? I had looked for wax paste on Amazon but they all seemed to be for cars and I'd be worried they'd have additives that wouldn't agree with briar

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
The Fiebling’s dyes work perfectly. You can even ignite them when wet for a quicker dry. A lot of pipe makers use this dye and similar methods.

will346

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
Last question to those in the know before bed. After the dye is it necessary to wax or will the dye do alone. Thanks again for the help and knowledge. Have a good evening

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several brands of pipes, all with bubbling problems? If that's the case, you may be smoking them hot, puffing and not sipping. In that situation, I don't think I'd apply the wax but leave them sanded and unfinished, and slow down your pace and reduce your puffing. Great advice on restoring these in the above posts. Best luck, and let us know what you do and how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.